Wednesday, August 08, 2007

abracadabera, i wanna reach out and grab ya

I escaped the office for a few hours today, and the combination of sunlight, the feeling of the wind in my hair as I drove down the winding roads to Santa Cruz while blasting Bon Jovi, and the corndog I ate on the Santa Cruz boardwalk all conspired me to feel much more relaxed. So relaxed, in fact, that I felt no guilt in coming home and taking a 30-minute nap before going back to the office, or, when I got home at eight tonight, leaving my computer turned off and watching tv and reading instead. Shocking, I know, and I'll go back to slogging tomorrow, but tonight I just didn't have anything pressing enough to force me to do work.

Today I learned that I need to spend more time in the sun, or more time driving with the windows down and the sunroof open - both of those things make me happy. Too bad the coastal areas here are all usually cold and cloudy - if they were endlessly gorgeous, I might consider living on the coast and commuting. Then again, if they were endlessly gorgeous, I wouldn't be able to afford to live there, because everyone else would too. Sigh.

Okay, I had all sorts of things that I was going to share with you, but I can't remember them, so I think I'll go to bed. But I'm happy to report that the Opening Ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics are one year from today! I should start setting expectations at work that they should give me next summer off - between the trip that I want to take to Siberia and Mongolia with my dad, and my desire to hole up in my living room watching the Olympics for two weeks straight, they're not going to get much use out of me. And with that pleasant thought in mind, it's time for bed!

No comments: