Sunday, August 12, 2007

you're killing me with your love

So I didn't get as much done today as I would have liked to, but it didn't turn out all bad. I woke up in time to have brunch with Terry; we experienced some of the worst service I've ever had at Hobee's (how can you bring someone a completely empty ketchup bottle? what thought is going through your head? like, 'oh, that girl looks like she might not *really* want ketchup, I'll take her the empty one!' I'm the worst person to do that to...I love ketchup!). We also spent some quality time commiserating about our respective employment situations - not that either of us are miserable, but I think we share the same angst as most of our generation in that we're not sure what our long-term goals are.

After brunch, I went to Target, where I procured some cheap white laminate shelving - it's the only stuff that will fit under my windowsill, unless I spend hundreds of dollars on some ridiculous custom-made shelves elsewhere. Then I spent an hour or so putting the stuff together and generally straightening up my bedroom. I talked to my parents for an hour and a half; my father is good at getting me riled up, but I think I will manage to calm down (maybe!) before I do anything stupid. Then again, maybe not.

I felt in need of some serious midwestern comfort food after I got off the phone, so I went to the grocery store and got the necessary ingredients for tuna noodle casserole (cream of mushroom soup, velveeta, and egg noodles), plus some white bread, margarine, and kraft singles (all of which I was out of). It was pretty much the most midwestern basket of food in all of the checkout aisles at Safeway - in fact, it took a significant amount of time to find those ingredients. Cream of mushroom soup and Velveeta were both relegated to bottom shelves, and the Velveeta required ~10 minutes of desperate searching before unearthing a small box lurking under the pasta sauces. I was kind of disappointed in my casserole - the noodles I bought were thicker, I believe, than the kind my mother uses, and so I had a bad noodle:sauce ratio. Or, perhaps I can be blamed for eating a few spoonfuls of the sauce as soup before I combined them. Either way, I have leftovers, but I will probably be able to keep myself from polishing them off singlehandedly.

The rest of my night was spent trying to make some order of my living room (I failed), catching up on a couple of things for work, and generally doing nothing. Too bad the weekend's over - I could use a vacation. Luckily for me, I'm going to Iowa in three weeks! For now, though, it's time for bed.

No comments: