Monday, August 06, 2007

death to our enemies (we'll make 'em sorry)

I must say that although my three-drug anti-allergy cocktail is making me feel better than I have in ages (it turns out you're not supposed to wake up every morning of your life with a stuffy nose and a congested feeling in your head!), I wonder if it's really good for me in the long run to be taking three drugs, particularly one that involves me inhaling four spray a day of a chemical into my nose. Luckily, I don't believe that Nasonex is a gateway drug to cocaine, but you never know - if you catch me chopping up my Allegra pills with a razor blade and snorting them through a rolled-up twenty, please start asking questions.

Then again, if that's the case, I may just be channeling my secret desire to be a star. I'm not really fashion-obsessed, and I rarely wish that I was taller (except when I can't reach something, or I'm about to suffocate in a crowd)...but I'm rather tired of my wardrobe, which consists of a lot of tshirts and very casual sweatshirts and flipflops. When it's eight a.m. and I don't want to get out of bed, pulling something like that on is about as much effort as I can contemplate. Granted, I usually top all outfits with a ridiculously expensive pair of sunglasses, but the sunglasses only carry me from my apartment to my office, and then I'm on my own.

I'm not sure what, exactly, to do about this conundrum - I want to dress nicer, but I don't have the time or the inclination to go shopping for those mystical 'nicer' things, and when I do go shopping, I end up w/more of the same stuff that I already have. I guess I'm not sure how to put together an outfit that isn't too cute or too casual - even though I wear a lot of skirts, they all fall on the 'cute' rather than the 'professional' end of the spectrum. I would take 'chic' over 'professional' as well, but that's not v. likely to happen. Sigh.

Anyway, I was triggered into thinking about my clothes because I did laundry this afternoon, and I read InStyle while I was at the laundromat - and let me tell ya, the comparison between Ann Taylor/Banana Republic and Valentino/Chanel is rather depressing. So I called my parents, which was wise, because while I'm bitter that for the amount of money I'm spending on rent here, I could be buying a house in Iowa, at least my parents don't talk about fabulous clothes and accessories. I also had dinner with Claude today - we went to Sakae Sushi, this sushi place in Burlingame that one of her coworkers had recommended, and it was well worth the drive. I had what may have been the best dragon roll I've ever tasted - eel, avocado, and shrimp tempura are three of my favorite things in the world, and the way that they were combined in this roll was to die for. To take it one step further, I've never really been truly tempted to drop the $80+ that one can drop on the specialized omakase ('chef's choice') menus at other sushi places, but I would consider it in a heartbeat here - the presentation was gorgeous, everything was extremely fresh, and while other people may not consider raw fish to be near-orgasmic, I guess I fall firmly in that camp. Oh, and seeing Claude was nice too ;)

Yesterday was extremely chill - I got a facial, spent the afternoon accomplishing things (in the form of tearing up my room and putting together a file cabinet that spent the last three weeks sitting in a box in my living room), and then went to Baja Fresh for dinner. I saw something creepy there - there was a guy whose license plate said the seven-letter equivalent of 'seek a knife', and he was just leaned against his SUV coiling a rope around his arm. It was v. strange. Then I spent a few hours reading a romance novel. As a result of this weekend, I feel rather relaxed - while last weekend was definitely more fun, I think I need this weekend to recover. Hopefully this week isn't too rough! And now, it's time for bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your wardrobe issues might be answered by John Molloy in his 1999 classic: New Women's Dress for Success. There appears to be a 2005 copycat, The New Professional Image, Dress Your Best for Every Business Situation by Susan Bixler and Nancy Nix Rice.