Monday, April 07, 2008

annoyed about paypal

The only thing of real worth that I accomplished today was cleaning my room -- and I find even that to be of dubious value, but it pleases my mother, and since I would be homeless if she kicked me out, it seemed like a necessary endeavor.

I know that I'm about to sound like a corporate whore, but I really hate PayPal. Yes, a big reason why I hadn't kept my account current was out of some weird, misguided loyalty toward Google Checkout, but I also always found PayPal to be kind of annoying. So when I got an email several months ago saying that they'd frozen access to my account, I didn't think that was such a bad thing.

However, I now want to join an online chapter of Romance Writers of America, and they accept membership dues via check or PayPal. As a child of the e-commerce revolution, I hate paying for things by check; in fact, I watched in shock when I was at the gas station the other day and some chick paid for her gas with a check. Anyway, I went through all the motions to unfreeze my account, including giving them my home phone number so that they could call me...and now, three days later, the message still says 'complete these steps to verify your account', with a 'completed' by each step, and no further options. Impatient, I created a new account -- but then it refused to let me pay by credit card, insisted on using my checking account instead, and I have to wait 2-3 days for a couple of micropayments to go through so that I can verify the amounts and get the account set up. Grr. I thought my allegiance to Checkout was purely blind loyalty, but it has never given me this much grief.

So, since I've basically wasted the whole weekend, I'm going to get up tomorrow and write until I can't write any more. And that output had better be at least 5000 words, or else I'll be v. disappointed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to be quite the ebay auction bidder a few years back ,until one day I got an email informing me my account had been frozen because there had been "suspicious activity" on my account. What this suspicious activity was exactly, they would not say, but apparently it was enough for paypal to unfriend me. My account's been frozen ever since, as the process to unfreeze look painful. You can chaulk it up to company loyalty, but as an unbiased third party, I can testify that paypal is lacking to say the least. I think they should rethink their "random account freeze" policy.