Wednesday, December 15, 2010

you think i'm funny when i tell the punchline wrong

I've had Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" stuck in my head for well over a week. I posted that dilemma on Facebook several days ago, and it sounds like Tammy is suffering from the same malady -- but she's also hooked on the Glee version, which I didn't even know existed, and a "death metal" version that may or may not be similar to the dance remix that I heard at the gym (which is what kicked off my addiction in the first place). I'm hoping that someday it will go away -- I tried to listen to other stuff on the plane, including "Rio" by Duran Duran, but to no avail.

However, given the number of screaming children I was subjected to today, perhaps it makes sense that my traumatized brain took refuge in the familiar vocals of Katy Perry rather than fully comprehending the horror around me. There was screaming, even louder screaming, the mother behind me who decided to play a DVD out loud for her children (one of whom was kicking my seat), and some general panicky wails, etc., etc. on both my SFO->Denver and my Denver->Des Moines flights. It was awful. While my biological clock may be ticking, today was enough to hit snooze on it for at least six months, right?

But, I made it to Iowa safe and sound, despite getting some v. fitful sleep between midnight and four a.m. and having a surprisingly disgusting lunch at what is normally my go-to Mexican restaurant in the Denver airport. I spent the flights alternating between napping and brainstorming possible topics for the romance blog; as I've said, you're stuck with my muddy, cottonmouth-filled stream of consciousness here, but I have to actually give a damn about my audience on zee romance blog, and so I'm trying to plan out what my angle and voice are so that I can attract a readership (rather than gathering more people who implicitly expect freebies of my books like most of y'all). I came up with about eighty post ideas, which would get me halfway through the year if I post three times a week, and likely further since some of the ideas are either multi-post series or standing blog items that I can refresh weekly or monthly.

But enough about that. My parents picked me up on time, and I bundled up in my down-filled bomber jacket against the 23-degree external temperature. We came home, I futzed around with my luggage, we ate supper (steak and baked potato, natch) while watching "Survivor", and then I continued the trend of watching some fine CBS programming by catching "Criminal Minds" (excellent show, albeit sometimes creeptastic) and "The Defenders" (surprisingly not that bad). But even though it's only 11:30 in Iowa, and therefore 9:30 in California, and therefore many, many hours before my usual bedtime, I need to sleep -- there's a lot to do the next few days to finish (er, start) my Christmas shopping, finalize stuff for my grandmother's 80th birthday party (which I've had very little hand in), etc., and I also want to write steadily while I'm at home, so we shall see. Goodnight!

No comments: