Tuesday, December 07, 2010

in the time of chimpanzees i was a monkey

Today felt v. busy, even though it wasn't that bad -- it's just getting to the point where I feel like I'm busy if I have to leave the house more than once a day, and today was one of those days. I went over to the gym "early" (eleven a.m.) today to get my eyebrows waxed at the small spa attached to the gym, and then I did some work on my laptop until it was time for my training session with Alyssa. She was excellent, as per usual, but while I can apparently do squats until the cows come home (including these squats that I believe are actually called goblet squats, but I hear goblin squats every time she says it, so I'm sticking with that as it's much more entertaining), anytime I try to do lunges I end up messing up my right thigh. It's bizarre and frustrating, but hopefully with continued practice I will realign my muscles so that they don't freak out (although I hold out absolutely no hope of being a prima ballerina someday).

After showering and taking my sweet time with my hair and makeup, I had a salad at the gym cafe. The salad was enormous because the staff likes me because I'm friendly and not irrational, so I seem to be getting the reward of extra-large servings in my salads. Then, I eventually made my way home and knocked out a few pages of zee romance novel, took a nap, and got ready to go out of the house for the second time today (shocking!).

Tonight was the semi-regular meeting of the paradise supper club, even though I am the only person who calls it that. Chandlord canceled on us (that bitch), but John, Jess and I had a delightful Indian feast at Chaat Paradise. The pani puri was good, as usual; the mutter paneer was also tasty; the stuffed paratha was delish; but the sag paneer (spinach with cheese) was really extremely salty. Also, I blurted out that it tasted like an Indian man (not that I have tasted a lot of Indian men; I meant that it tasted like some of the more odiferous men in India smelled), which horrified my dining companions and turned me off from eating any more of it. As a result, while a fun time was had by all, we may actually go to Olive Garden for our last dinner before the holidays -- I'm looking forward to another fantastic Tuscan voyage!

I don't know how I manage to attract odd strangers; I stopped in at Safeway on the way home from dinner and found two of them in less than five minutes. The first was a girl in the baking aisle who was staring at me while I picked out nonstick cooking spray, and when I asked her if I was in her way, she said, "oh, no, I just never realized how many different kinds of cooking spray there are." That's all well and normal, but then she sort of just kept staring, and then says she likes the grilling spray, and often uses the olive oil spray, and likes the way that the baking/flour spray smells -- which means she's well aware that there is more than one spray, and is also just odd since she didn't seem to be buying any of them for herself.

I skedaddled from the aisle as soon as I could, since she was starting to creep me out (she was a pale ginger girl and I began to think of wraiths and ghosts, etc.), and went straight to the nearest checkout. In the time that it took to ring up two cans of cooking spray, the dude behind the register called me sweetie, somehow brought up that he was from the south Pacific, and then said my hands were very pale and that I looked like Snow White. With all the strangeness I encounter in daily life, it's no wonder I don't leave the house.

sssanyway, when I got home I didn't get anything accomplished, and so I'm going to go to bed now and try to get up in time to do stuff before my day begins. I've got another action-packed one, including lunch with a girl from the writing class I took last year, some time at the gym, and class tomorrow night -- so getting something done in the morning is imperative. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Craig said...

Damn it Sara. Now I will be compelled to discover how many baking sprays there are next time I go shopping. I usually avoid that isle in the supermarket because thats where all the crazy people hang out.

You can tell the crazy ones because they tend to cluster in groups infront of the various brands of backing sprays while gently rocking from side to side with that empty look on their faces. ( I think their counting them. ) It's just creepy. On second thoughts I think I might just order online and get it delivered.

Thanks, now you have turned me into an introverted reclusive nut that stereotypes name brand baking spray consumers. Or you've just saved me from becoming on of those people that contemplates how many different baking sprays there are. It's hard to tell. Either way thanks. OR Thanks!!