Monday, March 25, 2013

break the crack

Today was lovely - I did very little, and saw more people than I usually do (four! six if you count the waitresses at the cafe I usually go to for breakfast!), so it was a total win.

Well, it was also a loss; the Iowa State game didn't turn out as I would have wished. I got up around 8:30, messed around online, and eventually went to have brunch, where I sat at the bar and watched the end of the first half while catching up with the waitresses and exchanging texts with Adit about our mutually beloved Fred Hoiberg. Then, I came home and watched the second half, which made me sad (and also made me wonder whether I shouldn't watch, since they lose when I watch, even though clearly that level of coincidence is too stupid to make any decisions off of).

By the time I'd recovered from the game, I was running late for my main plan of the day - so I hastily showered, attempted to make myself look cute (or rather, put together an outfit that let me keep wearing my awesome new yellow loafers), and rushed out to meet up with Lauren (aka Subz) for an excursion to Clement Street. I know, no one ever goes to Clement Street (except for, like, the other half of the city that lives in the Richmond). But Lauren had asked me where I'd gotten the blue Mason-jar soap dispenser for my bathroom, and the answer was from a woman at a Fort Mason craft fair who has a small store at 6th and Clement (Foggy Notion). So, we went together and did as much damage as is possible to do in a small store in ten minutes. Then we spent a glorious hour in the sun, catching up and chatting about life and work and leadership and other fun Sunday afternoon topics.

We had to hustle back to the car when we realized I was about to get a parking ticket (I've still never gotten a parking ticket in all my years in SF...knock on wood), and then I came home, watched the Kansas game, painted my toenails, and talked to my parents (they're theoretically good, although in practice Iowa State had just lost and it was snowing, so I don't think they were having a great anniversary weekend). Then I had a chat with some romance writers for this workshop we're giving at RT. Then Terry came home from LA, so I caught up with her. Rather than ordering in supper, which I was tempted to do, I threw together whatever I could make from the dregs of my fridge/pantry, which resulted in a weird chili-like substance with hamburger, white cannellini beans, diced tomatoes, and green chiles. It was aight, but it won't win any awards.

But what *does* win an award is Family Time (tm). Adit got one step closer in his everlasting war with Vidya to beat her in my labeling scheme, since he's perpetually about 15 posts behind her in terms of number of appearances on zee blog. She's in India for the month, so he really should have capitalized, but he hasn't and I'm about to go out of town, so he may be doomed to stay the underdog. He and Priyanka came over at 8:30 for some family time, and the four of us watched the end of the Duke/Creighton game (and the final destruction of my bracket, since I had Creighton winning). We also had a v. family-time style moment when Adit found my old Xanga blog (remember that thing? it shut down in 2003) and read some passages and grilled me on whatever silly/strange angst/drama was going on ten years ago.

And then we all watched '60 Minutes', which was particularly good tonight - it featured the Pussy Riot case (yay for Russia being totally crazy - their official government spokesman basically said 'we know the world hates us for Pussy Riot and it's hurt our economy, but it would be more dangerous for us to look weak, so we have to imprison them'), the awful story of some guy whose life was derailed in high school when he ended up in prison for a rape he didn't commit and is now trying to make it onto a pro football team, and some ridiculous fluff piece that could have ended in us watching Anderson Cooper getting eaten by an alligator. There are apparently people who go out in Botswana and swim with Nile crocodiles, which are incredibly dangerous and not particularly friendly, and Priyanka summed it up when she said that this is stuff only white people would do. Ha.

Family time ended at ten, and then I messed around on zee internet for a bit before realizing I needed to go to bed immediately. And immediately has arrived...wish me luck with this 'job' thing I have to go to tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: