Saturday, March 23, 2013

make me come alive

Happy anniversary to my parents! I assume they are still happy to be married to each other. Also, while they had to go to a visitation tonight (boo), the Cyclones won (yay), so I assume they had a good anniversary.

I celebrated by wearing my new Iowa pendant, which I utterly adore - it's lucite, in the shape of Iowa, and makes me look like a total hipster. Granted, most people don't seem to know that it's Iowa; they just think it's a chunk of glass. How can you not know what shape Iowa is? I think I know every state shape, although I'll grant that Wyoming and Colorado would be impossible to tell apart in lucite shape format. And Iowa is just so lovely, with its two straight borders and its two river borders.

sssanyway, I'm rambling, because I decided to try to avoid starting my blog post with any reference of how tired or overworked I am. Ha. Today was good, though; I worked from home, which meant I could sleep until 8:30 and still start working at nine. I had a couple of calls, did some massive spreadsheet work, sent some emails, and took a break around 11:30 to run to the grocery store and get some food and coffee, since working from home is hard when there's no food in the house. I threw in the towel around five, though, and took a quick shower before walking down to Chestnut Street for dinner at Mezes (a Mediterranean place I'd been to once before).

The dinner plan was to meet up with several people from my team at work, since one of the girls suggested that those of us who live in the city go to an improv show together and we decided to grab dinner beforehand. So, four of us met up and discussed life over Greek food and a couple of bottles of wine, which was a lovely pre-improv interlude. Then, we went to Fort Mason and enjoyed a couple of hours of improv. It wasn't as good as the long-form improv I saw last year with Lauren/Terry/Nathan, but it was still really funny, and I should think to go more often since it's so close to me. Afterward, people wanted dessert, so we walked back to Union Street (conveniently only a couple of blocks from my apartment) and had dessert at American Cupcake, which I've walked by many times before and always ignored. My ice cream was good, and I heard good reports about the cupcakes, but the place still felt like too much of a scene to me. Clearly I am old.

Now, though, I must sleep; I have a million things to do, but I want to spend some quality time writing and socializing and not looking at screens this weekend, so we'll see how that goes. Goodnight!

No comments: