Tuesday, October 26, 2010

see our love turn to rust

There are times when I love living near Stanford. There are other times, such as when I can hear the fullblown revelry of Full Moon on the Quad without leaving my living room, that I question the wisdom of living so close to all the memories of my alma mater. I don't actually have any particularly fond (or not fond) memories of Full Moon on the Quad, although I do recall that John and I went to it after we had both graduated, carrying a sign that said "I was your RA's RA", which was true for hundreds of people in the crowd and made us look ridiculously old. For those of you who didn't go to Stanford, I will use short words to explain that it's a tradition for freshmen and seniors (and everyone else, plus sketchy grad students and alumni) to gather in the quad during the first full moon of the school year and kiss at midnight. They should be kissing right now, so hopefully the noise will die down soon (yes, I am old and crotchety).

I was not productive today and so am deeply, horrendously annoyed with myself. I did get up relatively early and was out the door by 10am to go to Starbucks and work for awhile, but I spent the time there responding to email instead of writing. Then, I picked Renee up from the Caltrain station and we had a long lunch at Joanie's, which was deliciousness tempered by the fact that there were way too many fucking flies, which both distracted and disgusted me. When we could take the flies no more, we adjourned to Keplers to look at books and then to Borrone to have a tasty nonalcoholic beverage in the sun before she caught her train back to San Jose and I took care of some tings. It was lovely to see her; unfortunately, she hadn't been able to make it to zee party on Saturday, so I'm glad we got to catch up while she was still in town.

I finally got home around five p.m., where I read a romance writers magazine and took a nap. Then, I finished cleaning my kitchen, ate leftovers for dinner (the maidrites dried out from being in the crockpot too long on Saturday, but the baked beans and lemon cake were perfect), and decided that I needed to read a book to clear my mind from the previous week and get back into that creative space where my thoughts are magical and meant to go down on paper rather than disappear in a champagne haze. I still wasn't feeling quite right today after my champagne-soaked weekend, so I indulged myself. The book was Robin McKinley's THE BLUE SWORD -- one of my all-time favorites for getting into dreamspace, since the writing is luscious and the story of a girl who is called to do something she neither understands nor controls seems rather too relatable to my writing. Granted, my writing will not save the kingdom, but if rereading an old favorite can get me out of my procrastinatory haze and back into my imagination, I'm all for it.

Unfortunately tomorrow won't be perfectly devoted to writing; I have to go to the dentist in the morning, and I have an appointment to get a massage and facial tomorrow afternoon (I know, I'm unemployed, but I signed up for a year at the spa when I was still employed, and I have to use my massage by the end of the month or I'll lose it). But, there's a break of several hours in between that I intend to spend holed up in a cafe -- so productivity begins in earnest tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: