Friday, October 15, 2010

our old friend fear and you and me

In approximately sixteen hours, I'll be unemployed. It's still not sinking in; I spent the day packing my desk, shredding seven years' worth of documents (including my notebook from temp training so many years ago, which made me quite sad), and trying to decide whether to keep things like feather boas, lava lamps, potato heads, etc. Typically I've kept all that stuff because I've always needed stuff to decorate my desk with -- but I already have things to decorate my home desk with, and since I'm not going to have two desks, I don't really need two desks' worth of ridiculous toys.

But, I'm all packed up, and I've taken everything to my car, and I was only in the office from 8am to 8:30pm to get it done. I still have some last minute stuff to wrap up tomorrow, but I'm in pretty good shape, so I can walk out the door with a clear conscience. Whether I walk out with a smile remains to be seen. I think I will -- I'm really excited about the next part of my life, and even if I'm not smiling tomorrow, I will be when I roll out of bed around ten a.m. on Monday and don't have to go to the office. But, I'm not going to like giving up my laptop, or the badge that gets me access to a treasure trove of Diet Coke and snacky snacks.

I'm also not going to like saying goodbye to people, of course, but that's a given. In fact, I hate saying goodbye so much that I had lunch today with Heather (aka dear respected madam) and Vidya (aka Chandlord) -- two people I know I will see a lot of, one of whom doesn't even work there anyway -- rather than with people for whom it might actually be a goodbye. This was the first time that Chandlord and Heather have met, and I think it was good; I've wanted to introduce them for awhile, so this was a good opportunity even though the food and general attractiveness of the other patrons at that particular cafe was lower than usual today.

And that's it for now -- tomorrow it ends. Unfortunately real life doesn't have a doom-laden 'Lord of the Rings' style soundtrack, or else this would be the Khazad-Dum sequence, where the Balrog portrays a fiery demon known as 'never getting paid again' -- but like Gandalf, I will destroy him and arise anew to return to you at the turn of the tide.

Okay, that was too horribly nerdy even for me. That's a clear sign that it's time for bed. Then, I'm taking the weekend mostly off, but the writing begins in earnest on Monday -- I can't wait!

Daily word count: 0 (0% of goal)
Productive time: -
RescueTime productivity rating: - (global average: 0.34)

No comments: