Monday, October 18, 2010

i dream of love as time runs through my hands

Today was an utterly lazy day; I half-suspected that it would be, since rain was in the forecast and I love nothing better than lazing around on rainy Sundays. I woke up around ten and dozed in the warmth of my bed until around eleven, when I finally got dressed and went to Mike's Cafe for brunch. It's not that I love the place (I don't, particularly), but it's usually fairly easy to get a table and the clientele is so old that no one seems to notice that I'm there by myself. So I had my usual casserole and a v. good cup of coffee while brainstorming some upcoming blog activities -- not this blog (if you're wanting the content of this one to improve, you're in for a serious disappointment), but my romance blog and the group blog that I'm part of with some of the other finalists from that award I won last year. I have to write a blog post for the group blog for Tuesday, so that was the top priority. I didn't finish the post, but I know what I want to write, so knocking it out tomorrow shouldn't be too hard.

The long-term priority, though, is my romance blog; I need to start building content and getting into a rhythm there, and since I'm taking a class on blogging that starts in a couple of weeks, I want to get some ideas flowing now. I think I came up with a good list -- the first part was to figure out the general theme/tone. A lot of writers seem to end up writing blogs about how they write -- interesting to other writers, perhaps, but not interesting to potential readers. It's kind of a catch-22 -- right now it would be a lot easier for me to attract a following by blogging about writing, since my connections on Twitter are primarily with other writers. But eventually, the goal is to be published, and at that point I would rather have an audience of readers than writers. So, I'm just going to have to write a fun, breezy historical romance blog and pretend that I have an audience beyond my mother for the first few months until things get rolling.

After lingering over my coffee and notebook, I came home, cleaned my kitchen, took care of some stuff online, and took a nap. Then, I had my ritual call with my parents, who were in fine spirits because they've been having gorgeous weather for a couple of weeks, which they desperately needed. When we were done, I made a mug of tea and drove up to the evil city, expecting to have a quick dinner with Chandlord...

...but I didn't realize there was a game at Candlestick, and so what should have been a ~40min drive on a Sunday night instead took me an hour and forty-five minutes. I wanted to shoot myself. If nothing else, it was an excellent reminder of how glad I am to be done with both the city and my awful commute. However, dinner was lovely -- Chandlord, her friend Kathy, and I went to the Korean soft tofu place that Adit and I used to go to, which was the perfect warm, soupy meal for a rainy Sunday. The wait was a little long and they could have made my tofu spicier (I said "medium", as did Kathy, but mine was several shades lighter on the spice spectrum based on the color -- I think they discriminated against me because I'm pale and clearly not built for heat), but I was quite glad we went there.

However, I had to come home after we were done -- tomorrow's a work day, after all, even if I'm not getting paid for it and no one is expecting me to turn up anywhere. I'm interested to see how my process goes and whether I get into a rhythm or do something different every day -- we shall see. Now, though, it's time for bed -- my "new job" starts tomorrow!

1 comment:

Will K. said...

"It's not that I love the place (I don't, particularly), but it's usually fairly easy to get a table and the clientele is so old that no one seems to notice that I'm there by myself."

Hehe. :D