Sunday, October 24, 2010

super sad true love story

I don't think I can do justice to the awesomeness that was today, because I'm still hella impacted by the vast quantities of champagne and rum that I downed. The rum and champagne is because I rather ridiculously recreated someone else's wedding 'signature cocktail' for my own party - the "coming up roses" cocktail that I had at Pete and Bridget's wedding (reminder: that entry is here). It's 2oz of raspberry rum, 0.5 ounces of rose-flavored simple syrup, 2-3oz of champagne, and a lime wedge - delicious enough to go down easy, strong enough to make you regret having seven or eight of them in the morning. There are six empty champagne bottles and an entire empty handle of raspberry rum sitting on my counter, so I'm not the only one who had a good day!

sssanyway, the lead-up to the party was rough; in my unemployment, I'm not used to getting up before eleven a.m., and so I wasn't able to wake up much before 8:30 to get ready. I spent the morning running errands, swiffering up the errant wampdevils, making maidrites, etc., and getting prepared for zee party. Zee party was technically from 2pm to 7pm; there was a group of people who showed up around 3pm, and another group who showed up around 5pm, so the general flow of the party was quite nice. I made maidrites (aka sloppy joes - only Ritu, who also grew up in Iowa, knew what the hell maidrites were), baked beans, deviled eggs, potato soup for the vegetarians, lemon cake, and chocolate chip chewies. And, I made the 'coming up roses' cocktail described above - it was a huge hit, although I will definitely be feeling the pain tomorrow.

This was one of the few times that I mixed a couple of friend groups; I never do this, since I believe in keeping my private life private, but I mingled my old Stanford friends with some of my (relatively) new work friends. I say relatively because Tolu and I have been friends for seven years, Chris and I were in India five years ago, and I've known Natasha for two or three years, but given that I've known John, Oniel, and Jav for eleven years, two years is nothing. So Shedletsky, Chris and Natasha, Tolu and Kristina, Chandlord, John and Jess, Javier and Sylvia, Oniel (aka Fauxneil, whose girlfriend still boycotts half my parties because I once threw and Olympics party in honor of the subjugated Chinese factory slaves), Josh (who was in India with me as well), Ritu, Roopa, Connie, and their friends Ronak and Jasmine all showed up, and a good time was had by all.

But seriously, I can't do justice to it all. My brain cells are still dying with every champagne bubble bursting in my stomach, and while I love the feeling of my brain cells crying out for assistance before slowly succumbing to a bottle of Gloria Ferrer blanc de noirs and a bunch of Bacardi Razz, it doesn't help me to formulate proper sentences. I had a wonderful time, though -- this was a wonderful way to celebrate my emancipation from the day job. In fact, Chandlord declared this an Abe Lincoln party (since I live in a log cabin), which resulted in a lot of discussion of emancipations and proclamations, as well as John making a drink called "Body of Lincoln, Blood of Lincoln", which involved eating a tater tot and then drinking something involving Courvosier, champagne, food coloring, etc. Since I supply food coloring as a standard mixer, this was an easy drink to make; someday, perhaps, I will grow up, but until then I will buy food coloring for every party I host as a matter of course.

Anyway, I made a whole vat of chai and then pushed everyone out the door to attend their Stanford reunion parties (if they hadn't left already), and Chandlord claimed that she was only going to take a nap before going to a different party she needed to attend, but I'm pretty sure she's out for the count. So, I'm going to go to bed, spend tomorrow cleaning up the champagne aftermath, and then seriously devote myself to writing starting Monday morning. And I must say that I can't wait -- while I love love LOVE champagne, I'm in love with words too, and the writing is going to have to take precedence for awhile.

And so, goodnight! Starting tomorrow, I will stop killing brain cells quite so recklessly, at least for a few days. Yay.

No comments: