Thursday, October 07, 2010

but you know that i was never fair, you were always fine

The weather widget on my phone is now forecasting up to the last day of my job (next Friday, predicted to be sunny and 71 degrees), which is yet another reminder that this is all becoming real very fast. I'm really quite happy that it's becoming real, even though I will miss being able to run into people at work all the time (because if I run into people unexpectedly in my own house, I'm likely not going to be thrilled to see them). But, as I don't like saying goodbye to people, the next few days aren't going to be the best ever.

Today was pretty good, even though I need to start buckling down if I'm going to finish the things I'm supposed to finish before I go. I had lunch with John at the cafe in the building my team sat in from 2005 to 2007; the cafe has changed concepts a couple of times since then (Oasis -> Jia (I think?) -> Steam, for those of you keeping track at home), but today's lunch was pretty good. Then, I went back to my building for a meeting with the recruiter who is trying to fill my role (things are not looking pretty, but it's about to not be my problem), and then snuck away to a snacky-type cafe on main campus (Slice) to while away the afternoon. There were only fifteen or twenty people in the cafe when I walked in, but I got to say hi to both Elisabeth (one of my favorite former direct reports) and Joann (of temp program days of yore -- she's the one who just moved back from Singapore). John showed up too, and we drank oddly disgusting chocolate smoothies while working. I believe that he was working on stuff for the job that actually pays him, while I was definitely doing the reading for my magazine class tonight, since I've been too consumed with Madeleine and Ferguson and day job stuff to do my homework. We left when we fortuitously overheard someone say that it looked like it was going to rain, and got back to my car just as the raindrops started, thus saving his laptop and my overpriced handbag from ruin.

I dropped him off at his building, came home, had some peanut butter, and finished the reading for class just in time to head over to campus. Class tonight was good, but I was too tired to fully enjoy it -- yet another reason why I'm looking forward to being unemployed. Then I came home and intended to write, but I think my brain was too tired, so I futzed around on the internet for a bit instead.

Now I desperately need to sleep; I've been going in late every day this week since the big boss is in Dublin and no one else cares where I do my work from, but I have an eight a.m. meeting tomorrow that is going to wreck me if I don't go to bed soon. Goodnight!

No comments: