Sunday, June 12, 2011

forever may not be long enough

The teamaker got me out of bed this morning, which is a v. good thing - I'm more likely to get out of bed for hot tea, apparently, since hitting snooze on the alarm is way too easy. And, I did get stuff done today - I packed the rest of my books, culled another box of them, and sorted all the clothes in my closets and in the garage to decide what to keep and what to take to Goodwill. I purged 20+ pairs of shoes, if that says anything about how actively I'm trying to rid myself of little-used/unused possessions (although since that was less than a third of my overall shoe collection, it's not like I'm going to end up barefoot anytime soon). And, I talked to my parents, which is my standard Sunday afternoon activity. And, since I'm out of food (and, more problematically, the meat I'm supposed to be consuming in vast quantities), I ran to Chipotle for dinner; I had intended to have hamburger for lunch, but after I cut up the potato and onion for homefries (which were delicious, btw), I discovered that my hamburger was just a little bit over the hill. As it was cooking it smelled a bit funky, and I ultimately decided not to risk eating it. So, my potato lunch wasn't nearly enough protein, but Chipotle solved that problem quite nicely.

I intended to keep going with the packing after dinner, but instead I got distracted by thoughts of starting my own freelance editing business. I think I have a decently workable plan in place, with some ideas for how to market myself, how much I need to charge to make it worth my while, and who I need to connect with. I can't let it get in the way of my own writing, or else I might as well just go back to work full-time, but it would be nice to build something that could help pay the rent while I continue to write. So, I came up with a name for my business, registered the domain, and ordered some business cards so that I can have the cards in time for the romance conference in two weeks. I didn't order a lot of cards, and there's obviously a lot to be done before I can hand them out (namely, setting up my site), but at least I have them in case I make the right connections at the conference.

Of course, that was brilliant procrastination on my part, since it's something that I've needed to do for awhile, and so I could pseudo-justify doing that instead of packing. But I need to finish as much of the packing as I can tomorrow; the end is in sight in both my bedroom and my living room, but I haven't touched the kitchen or my linen/makeup closet, so I need to get cracking. And to that end, I'm going to set up my teapot, go to bed early, and get started earlier than noon tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: