Monday, June 20, 2011

i can tell that you're in touch with your feminine side

Despite violating the only vow I made today, I had a relatively decent day followed by a lovely latenight excursion. Last night, Terry asked me what I intended to do today, and I said that the only plan I had was not to drive anywhere, since I'd driven between Palo Alto and the city every day for the past four days and needed a break. However, I made the mistake of calling Adit back when I saw that I had a missed call from him after getting out of the shower this morning, and I'm enough of a soft-hearted schmuck that I agreed to pick him up from the Oakland airport at 11pm. 11pm turned into 11:45pm, unfortunately, but you win some, you lose some.

Before we get to that, however (and that story is actually much happier than it sounds), the rest of my day was a mad dash to try to get the new apartment into livable condition before I leave for New York. I made breakfast this morning (bacon and oatmeal, yum), showered, and finally forced myself to tackle the many and varied kitchen boxes. After about five hours of work, I got everything in the kitchen unpacked and put in its proper place, with the exception of the glassware, teapots, etc., that I intend to hand wash in the morning. The kitchen is awesome, though; the appliances are top quality, and there was enough cabinet space for all of my stuff plus the couple of boxes that Terry brought up (needless to say, since I'm the girl with about eight casserole dishes, my kitchen stuff overwhelms Terry's stuff by a factor of 5:1 -- and not that she's complaining, since she can now use it all as well). So, I felt a little hum of happiness at the thought of future brunches and dinner parties while I was unpacking, and I can't wait to do something food related at the new place.

After finishing with the kitchen, I called my parents and wished my dad a happy father's day (yay). Then, I dealt with all the stuff that was in my car so that I would have room for Adit's luggage (boo). Eventually, I made myself supper (a cheeseburger sans bun and a steamed artichoke, which is becoming one of my go-to meals), and Terry and I watched an episode of "Bones" while eating.

But, I did manage to drag myself upstairs after "Bones", and after doing some brief rearranging of my desk, I forced myself to ignore the mess, sit down, and write. I managed to squeeze out three pages of Ellie and Nick's story, which is good -- and I reread the scenes that I wrote a couple of weeks ago and love them now that I've had enough distance from actually writing them, so that's a good thing. After writing, I took a break with Terry to watch another episode of "Bones", and then I drove to Oakland (aka the dirty east bay, although I won't disparage it too much for fear of getting shot) to pick up Adit.

Adit's flight was delayed, and he had to pick up bags from baggage claim, so by the time we left the airport, it was close to midnight. However, Adit had promised me latenight mac and cheese, and so we drove back to San Francisco and went to Monk's Kettle for a v. late snack/drink. Their kitchen was open until one a.m., and while they weren't serving mac and cheese, we did split a small plate of wild mushroom risotto (which would be anathema to my family, since my parents despised the risotto I made for them and [censored] isn't a fan of wild mushrooms). Adit had some sort of v. hoppy, light Belgian ale, and I had a Scotch ale that was v. dark and had some interesting undertones to it. And then we talked about work, life, Boston, San Francisco, and the state of the publishing industry. Despite how much I enjoy complaining about things like picking Adit up from the airport, I'm glad he's moving back; the city wouldn't be the same without him, and I need that siblingish love-to-hate-each-other vibe occasionally.

Anyway, I dropped him off at his place (not Vidya's -- shocking, I know) around 1:30am, and then drove back to the safety of the Marina. And now, I should really, really sleep; I'm not planning to drive anywhere tomorrow either, but I need to start taking care of romance writer stuff, and I don't have a lot of time before the conference. Goodnight!

No comments: