Sunday, June 26, 2011

i'm never gonna leave this bed

I'm in New York (obvi), lying in my comfy Marriott bed, chatting with my roommate about the publishing industry and getting ready for a week of romance industry discussions. I'll keep this brief since we're about to fall asleep, but I had a wonderful, productive day -- I got out of bed approximately when Ritu Rani showed up from the hospital to crawl back into it, and I managed to do a couple of hours of work in her apartment before showering and going out in search of food and caffeine. The first cafe I tried was v. pleasant, empty, and had free wireless/power outlets, but it was so freaking cold that I had to abandon it. So, I went to a tea place near Madison Square Park (inadvertently running into the NYC Pride Parade on the way), and worked for a couple more hours while drinking tea that tasted like sewage because it was not made with my overpriced teamaker.

After doing my work and talking to my mother, I walked back to Ritu's, and Ritu/Steph/I had dinner at some Belgian place near Ritu's hospital. I had chicken vol au vent, which came out looking like sludge and had me very concerned, but it ended up being totally delicious. Then, Ritu went to work, Steph and I went back to the apartment, and Steph helped me drag my suitcases out to the street and into a taxi bound for Times Square. I checked into the hotel around 8:30 or 9, came up to my room, and spent the past four hours catching up with my roommate (Vivi, who won her category the same year I won my award) about publishing and life. And now I must go to bed immediately, since I'm meeting Ritu and Steph for an early lunch before coming back to the hotel and meeting my agent. I'm super psyched about the conference now that I'm in the vicinity of it, though, so I have a feeling it's going to be an awesome week. Goodnight!

No comments: