Thursday, June 09, 2011

i find it hard to tell you, i find it hard to take

I woke up earlier than ever today; Chandlord woke me up at seven a.m., as we had agreed the previous night, so that we could enjoy breakfast together before she went off into the wide world and I stayed in my hermitage. Breakfast consisted of strawberry shortcake (with half-and-half, of course), as well as tea from my new teamaker (which I only used three times today -- everything in moderation, right?). Strawberry shortcake is definitively not on the list of approved breakfasts based on my high-protein/high-fat/low-carb diet, although drenching it in half-and-half at least upped the fat content. Surprisingly, I wasn't particularly hungry all morning/afternoon and didn't eat lunch until after two p.m., but perhaps I was in such a sugar coma that my body couldn't contemplate eating real food.

Anyway, Chandlord and I had a lovely hour of chatting before she went to work. As soon as the door closed behind her, I crawled back into bed and went back to sleep. Perhaps this was counterproductive, but since the major task on my to-do list was to clean the garage, it's understandable why I procrastinated. But I did eventually get up, get myself dressed in something good for the spider-infested ruins of the garage, make some more tea with my teamaker (yay), and go out to tackle the garage. And, I succeeded in breaking down all the boxes that needed to be broken down, corralling all the styrofoam and other non-recyclables into garbage bags, and identifying which items in the garage I will likely take to Goodwill, which ones I need to sort through before moving, and which ones are packing materials that will be useful for my upcoming move. I also did two loads of laundry and swept the garage, so that was all great -- and even though I killed several gigantic spiders and let several others get away, I appear to have emerged unscathed.

After I finished the garage, I came in, ate the last of the leftover Thai food from two nights ago, showered, and tidied up the bedroom and living room in preparation of my landlord showing the place. Several people showed up, including a girl who lived in FloMo when I was a freshman there and who later worked at Google (which was just bizarre), although it seemed like there were fewer people this time than there were when I rented the place a year ago. But, since he's raised the rent by almost $500, that would weed some people out. Some of them seemed interested, though, so hopefully he gets a new lease signed. Either way, I'm moving out next week, and now that he's shown the place, I can start destroying it by packing in earnest.

My landlord left a little after six; at some point later, a straggling couple showed up, and I showed them around even though I wasn't particularly obligated to. Then, I made some supper -- a boneless pork chop and some extremely delicious home fries (consisting of one potato, half an onion, and a whole ton of butter to meet the required fat content of the meal). The pork chop was about a third the thickness of a classic 1" Iowa Chop, but it was still tasty. And then, I procrastinated a bit...

...but eventually dragged myself out of my procrastination to write several pages of notes/brainstorming related to my top-secret gargoyles project. It's going to be awhile before I'm ready to write those books in earnest, but I need to start gathering my thoughts and researching what I need to research in order to plot them and create a viable world/structure/ruleset for what happens. While I intend to stay focused on Ellie's story, it was fun to work on something else for a couple of hours. But now, I should sleep; I'm training with Alyssa in the morning, and then I'm driving up to the evil city to meet one of the new landlords, get the keys to the new place, and measure every inch of the apartment to determine how to arrange my massive amounts of stuff. Goodnight!

No comments: