Tuesday, September 04, 2012

some call me nicki and some call me roman

In thirty-six hours I will be on a plane back to California, where I have two weeks to write as much as possible before my next jaunt around the country. In preparation for that two-week writing extravaganza (only a true hermit would consider two weeks of writing an 'extravaganza'), I printed off the entire manuscript that I have so far and spent some quality time inputting my editor's notes/suggestions (not many - she loved it, and my writing is usually pretty clean anyway). And tonight, I read through the entire thing, making notes where I thought I should add/change/remove something, and then freewriting several pages in my notebook about various plot threads and what I need to do about them. The good news is that the first half is in excellent shape; there are two scenes I want to cut and replace with other scenes, but compared to my usual dire rewrites, that's a walk in the proverbial park.

The bad news, though, is that I'm not already done with the book, but I'll survive. I spent the rest of the day hanging out with family and resenting their intrusion on my would-be hermitville; [censored] left for [censored] this afternoon, and my sister and her youngest daughter came over for a couple of hours, bearing a new jar of sweet pickles for me to take back to California. I also spent some quality time eating supper with the parents and watching some fine CBS programming, and I also drank some overpriced looseleaf tea to start preparing my body for my California yuppy life. And now that I've read my manuscript and worn out my brainstorming brain cells for the night, I must sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: