Saturday, September 22, 2012

german german

I'm way too tired to blog, and it's clear that my neck is aggravated mostly by typing on my laptop - which may be a problem since I have a lot of typing to do to finish Nick and Ellie's book (which is becoming increasingly imperative now that I, like, have fans and stuff - weird). But I had a fantastic day - I'm so glad that I came to Yale/New Haven to see Claude/Zach/Maggie in their natural habitat (although perhaps its wrong to call this their natural habitat, since they all seem intent on leaving as soon as they are able).

We were v. lazy this morning, but I still got less than six hours of sleep since I accidentally stayed up until three a.m. Zach, Maggie and I met up with Claudia, Ritu and Bill at a coffee shop that served gluten free wraps (subpar) and gluten free cookies (amazeballs), and then we did an unofficial walking tour of campus. We went into the rare books library, which was super cool - the exterior walls have translucent alabaster to allow some light to filter through without harming the manuscripts, and if the fire alarms go off, you have limited time to exit before the building seals itself and fills up with argon to prevent fire from damaging the books. Awesome.

We also saw a lot of the old campus, saw just a tiny bit of the Center for British Art (where I bought myself a Christmas ornament - the first time I've ever bought myself one without buying my mom one, but I didn't think she would appreciate an ornament of Admiral Lord Nelson, the hero/martyr of the Battle of Trafalgar during the Napoleonic Wars), wandered around the science areas, and stopped in at Zach's lab, where we watched him check to see which of his microscopic worms had died overnight. Then Claude drove us up to the top of East Rock to look out over New Haven before we returned to Zach and Maggie's to make dinner.

I had to take a brief siesta at this point, but rallied in time to help (sort of) while Maggie and Zach made swiss chard, a sort of ratatouille of vegetables, a v. yummy baked polenta, and flattened chicken (also yummy). We all ate supper, then scurried back to campus to see a cabaret we had tickets for - "Fatal Eggs", based on a Bulgakov novella. The play was great, and made even better by being able to drink wine while watching it, but I really enjoyed it a lot. We grabbed some froyo after (frozen yogurt for you non-Stanford peeps), went to Claude's, and were going to watch 'Sahara', but instead got trapped into watching part of 'Battle Royale' before Z/M and I were too tired to continue.

And now I'm going to bed - more fun is expected tomorrow, and then I'm taking a train back to NYC and need to buckle down and get some shit done. But this has been a v. lovely break in my usual routine, and I'm glad I've gotten to spend some quality time with the Yale contingent. Goodnight!

No comments: