Friday, May 26, 2017

a little flesh, a little history

Sleepy, stuffed, and definitely ready for bed - today was tons of fun, but I overindulged and need to sleep it off before starting again tomorrow. I woke up this morning after not quite enough sleep and rendezvoused with Terry (remember her?), and we promptly engaged in some debauched day drinking. And by that I mean that I had some sort of vodka-filled berry lemonade with my cajun scramble, which is way stronger than I usually start with in the morning...

Then we change into swimsuits and spent the afternoon on the beach. We'd been told that there was beachside bar service, but this was not true because of some special events happening this weekend, so I held down the fort while Terry went across the street to get a couple of drinks to go for our first round - which felt more like rounds 1-3 (or 2-4, if you count brunch), because they gave her plastic quart containers like you get takeout soup in, each filled to the brim with a mojito (for me) and a margarita (for her). A quart of mojito is approximately 1.3 pints more than I was expecting, so I got somewhat tipsy while we laid in the sun and talked about life...

And then we continued the fun by going to Tequila Chicas and having a frozen margarita and some chips. Then we changed and went to Drybar, where we got blowouts - Terry was shocked that I'd never done one, as was my blowout guy and every other person who worked there. But my blowout guy complimented the texture of my hair, so at least someone in South Beach besides myself got to feel how awesome my hair is....

Yeah, I'm bragging, not sorry. ssssanyway, we took our fancy hair to our dinner reservation at 27 Restaurant, which turned out to be an incredible place. Of course I had to have a cocktail in the twenty minutes we were waiting (a Bayside Britney, which was tasty, and I had to text Irish Matt to show him the menu since, as he responded, the drinks all sounded like the chapters of his autobiography). Then we were seated, and the food was outstanding - we had the best falafel I've ever had, some fish in a curry sauce with 'ancient grains' (some of them need to stay ancient, but they were really delish in this context), and arepas with beef brisket that was to-die-for good. And we (or I) ill-advisedly ordered a brownie and had a few bites, which is probably not helping my sudden headache/stomachache.

Or maybe that's the fact that I drank basically no water and approximately 80oz of cocktails today. I only had one with dinner, which I ordered solely for the name - "One Night in Bangkok", which was essentially bourbon in a thai iced tea, and it was better than it had any right to taste, and I'm sure my face lit up with the expression that I get when I suddenly want to have ten cocktails. It's a good thing Adit wasn't there, is all I'm sayin'.

After dinner, we were stuffed beyond belief, and both of us were tired, so we took a cab most of the way back to her hotel and walked the rest. I went up to her room to get my stuff, and then we walked out to a different street where I could get a lyft without getting stuck in crazy traffic. Then I came back to Roam and promptly talked to Katie for awhile - this is not our usual time to talk, but maybe it should be since the kids had just gone to bed and we were able to talk for quite some time (and I think I held it together despite my alcohol consumption). And then I finished the book I started reading yesterday, and now I must sleep so I can go back to South Beach in the morning before the traffic gets totally insane - goodnight!

No comments: