Tuesday, May 02, 2017

this house don't feel like home

After almost four months of travel, my body has finally succumbed to the travel illnesses I thought I'd managed to outrun. To be fair, I also got sick when I landed in Bali - but this is v. unfortunately timed, since I'm at a writing retreat with grand plans to get a lot done before going to SF next week. I'm not ridiculously sick yet, but my sore throat is really bad, and I've been fighting it with many forms of vitamin c all day. It didn't help that I didn't sleep much last night - I woke up at four a.m. because I didn't feel great, then woke up for good at six because the sun was too bright and my body thought it was 8am anyway.

But despite the illness, today was good - I spent the morning (after finally dragging myself out of bed) journaling, then talking to Barbara for awhile, then talking to Barbara and Anne. Eventually it was time to shower, and then the four of us went out for lunch at a Mexican place in the downtown area - I thought it was delicious since I haven't had California Mexican in forever, but they said it wasn't as good as the place they went yesterday.

Then we ran to a grocery store, where I mostly stocked up on meds, and then we came back and I attempted to work. I did get some good stuff done (mostly promo - I had a major ad running today that I wanted to supplement with some social media stuff, which I did), but then I talked to Anne, and then I took a nap because I really wasn't feeling well at all. Then I talked to [censored]. Then I got approximately fifteen minutes of writing done before Barbara wanted to brainstorm her next series and we spent a lot of time on that.

But all in all, San Clemente is gorgeous - our house is on a cliff overlooking the beach (where there was a shark attack this weekend, so watching the surfers has the added fun of wondering if you're going to watch a gruesome death), and it's really well suited for a writing retreat since it's basically two two-bedroom condos combined into one for the week, which means two kitchens, two living rooms, and two patios - which means it's easy to get away from people if necessary (and in my book it's v. necessary). Since I was the last to arrive, I got the worst room, which I expected - it's twin bunk beds, which is not my favorite thing (mostly because I can't sit up in bed and work there), but it's still totally fine and I'm #blessed, etc. And I'm mostly here for the company and the writing time anyway, and that's all great.

But now I really need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: