Wednesday, May 03, 2017

but you don't really care for music, do you?

Despite my encroaching illness, I had a v. good writing day. I woke up this morning with my sore throat raging and nothing else particularly wrong with me, and I sat out on the deck with my journal and the mist for a couple of hours - mist is probably not good for sore throats, but it's great for daydreams.

Then I talked to my friends for awhile and continued to brainstorm Barbara's book from last night before they ordered me to shower so we could grab lunch. We walked down to a nearby cafe, where I got a gluten-free quiche and some extra egg salad for tomorrow - but the walk back up to the house nearly killed me. I was supposed to record a podcast with a fellow author this afternoon, but I decided that my sore throat and congested-sounding voice and general exhaustion made me unable to do this, so I begged her to reschedule for Thursday, which she accommodated.

So I spent the afternoon alternating between writing, doing admin/social media work, and trying to burn the illness out of my body by sitting in the sun while eating vitamin C gummies. I'm working on SPINSTER HONEYMOON, and so I spent my writing time this afternoon brainstorming characters and plot points. However, I had a much more helpful and productive session brainstorming it with the group over takeout pizza for dinner - I usually don't brainstorm my own stuff in groups all that much, but this turned out super helpful for this project (and I actually came up with two totally different ideas beyond my original idea for this book, and all three of them could probably be viable books, so it's kind of an embarrassment of riches at this point).

So, I'm full of dreams and eager to dig into the story, but I couldn't abandon the group to their conversation and do my own writing without feeling rude. So I hung out with them until 9:30ish, at which point we were all feeling like retiring. I spent the last three hours doing some reading (I'd told a friend I would do a quick beta read of her book, so I wanted to finish that), and now I'm going to sleep and hope that I feel better tomorrow so that my head is clear enough to write - goodnight!

No comments: