Tuesday, March 04, 2008

'cause it's so perfect, i'm so perfect, you're so perfect...you're not here

Okay, I will stop with the quotes from 'Open Road Song' after tonight, since I'm most definitely not on the open road--the closest I got to the open road today was turning my car around in the driveway so that it was easier to unload all of my stuff into the garage. Still, everything would be pretty much perfect if everyone I'm friends with were here, or if my parents lived a couple of hours from the bay area, or if I had limitless funds and houses in both places. I'll just have to settle for being completely relaxed and ready to focus on my novel.

I must confess that I was pretty lazy today, even though I was awoken early when the sun seared my retinas. So, the biggest project for the day (after unloading the car to prevent anything from being damaged by long-term exposure to below-freezing conditions) was rearranging my room so that I could find some moderate escape from the evil sun. I love the light in the room later in the day, but I ended up wedging my bed into the corner so that even though it will still be light in the morning, the sun won't be attempting to blind me directly.

I also assembled the ikea desk that I brought home with me - I think it's a worthy goal to want to be rich enough in the future that I am never tempted to buy Ikea furniture again. I don't particularly like Scandinavian design, nor do I like the relative difficulty with which some of these pieces are assembled. Then again, I could just not buy their furniture, regardless of my future income - but I'm quite afraid that if I pursue the life of a fulltime writer, more Ikea is in my future. More ramen would probably also be in my future, but I'm ignoring that possibility for now.

The only other major task I accomplished was organizing my makeup and toiletries. With my monitor, keyboard, desk, makeup, and bathing products assembled, I could get started writing tomorrow (and even be clean while doing it!)...but my mother will kill me if I don't put away all of the other stuff that is now cluttering her house, so I'll probably spend some more time organizing. And, who am I kidding - procrastination is one of my favorite things, and unpacking my stuff is a mildly good excuse!

Finally, thanks to Alaska Matt for the shout-outs on his blog - I'm pleased to know that he's still willing to be friends even if I become a bright ray of sunshine due to the intense pleasure I'm deriving from my leave of absence, given that he usually knew me as more of a raincloud kind of person. And with that terrible metaphor that proves I will never make it as a writer, I'm going to bed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this blog has gotten hellllllla boring ever since you left the gay area.

Matthew Lewis said...

Friendship offer is revoked on the strength of Aditya's comment. BTW - I was talking to a homeless guy from Iowa this morning waiting for the shuttle. I mentioned the round barn in your home town and he got quite excited. It was weird.