Friday, March 14, 2008

finnegan begin again

I need to learn how to write during the day. I basically sat around all day, ate dinner (porkchops and baked potatoes), and watched 'Survivor', 'CSI', and 'Without a Trace' (all fine CBS programming) - none of which was particularly productive, even if my mother's cooking is delicious and the CBS programs were entertaining.

However, I then proceeded to write from ten p.m. until now, with an hour-long break to watch Craig. Craig was great, as usual; tonight was a rerun of when he was sworn in as an American citizen, and it was nice to see him so earnest and excited about becoming an American. I was surprised that the oath of citizenship includes swearing to bear arms for the US, but I suppose it makes sense. At the end of the show, some Scottish band called the Wicked Tinkers performed - and he joined in as a drummer. I should get one of their CDs as inspirational music, I think, even if they weren't quite as attractive in their kilts as I intend for the hero of my romance novel to be.

Anyway, I'm heavily revising the opening chapter - I think that I was struggling because the voice at the beginning is so different from what it is later on, and I want to ensure that there's continuity and strength throughout, but it really has to start with a bang on the very first page. If I can clean up the first couple of chapters, I can skip back to fixing the remaining portion of the book, since I'm actually pretty satisfied with most of what I have. However, unless I want to go fully nocturnal, I should really go to bed - sunrise is in less than three hours, alas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

matthew kuhlke says hello.