Tuesday, March 11, 2008

must not cry...tears will ruin pantsuit

I was rather unproductive today. I intended to start writing, but instead spent too much time researching how long it would take for a post-chaise to go from London to the Highlands in 1815 (answer: post-chaises could probably go 8-10 miles/hour, and it's ~470 miles from London to the area of the Highlands where my book is set - granted, that's on today's road system, I need a map of the old post roads - so I expect that's around 5-7 days, depending on how many hours per day they traveled and how long they stopped for lunch, horse changes, etc.)

The only real highlights of the day:

1) Daylight Saving Time - awesome!

2) Mom made a steak and potatoes variant tonight - minute steak, mashed potatoes, and gravy. Mmm. That brings the official steak and potatoes count up to four!

3) I attempted to write at the kitchen counter tonight, but my father came out and we talked for awhile, which means I can blame him for my procrastination. The conversation was good, though - we hit up several major topics, including the Great Wall of China, Russian politics, and what coyotes eat (his answer: mice, birds, rabbits, and occasionally one of our cats).

4) Craig Ferguson. I love that guy. The title of this post is in reference to his robotic impersonation of Hillary Clinton. Tonight was one of his better episodes - someone pretended to be him while he pretended to be Prince Charles, which I thought was a lovely interlude. He also made an extended joke about Winston Churchill - I think one of my favorite things about Craig is that he makes jokes about events that happened decades ago, and expects his audience to either get it or play along. No dumbing down of the monologue just because he's now an American citizen!

It's bedtime - tomorrow I shall actually accomplish something! I've been home a week, so I need to get cracking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if steak and potatoes count goes above the vidya count, i'll be ashamed