Thursday, March 27, 2008

just waiting for the daylight to come crawling in on me

I am perhaps the last one to the party in the paranormal romance genre (scouts report that the genre is flaring out, since readers are glutted by a couple of years of vampires and werewolves and witches and other fantastic beings engaging in preternaturally amazing sex while trying to save the world from a dark and horrid fate). However, I have arrived - on a whim, I ordered a paranormal romance from Amazon (along with an external hard drive and a copy of 'Roberts' Guide for Butlers and Other Household Staff', published in 1827). I only meant to read the first chapter; several hours (and a break for a secret society meeting) later, I finished the whole thing, and ordered the next two in the series from Amazon.

For the curious, the book is 'A Hunger Like No Other' by Kresley Cole. And I'm only mildly embarrassed that it tells the story of a werewolf king who falls in love with a half-vampire, half-Valkyrie girl who cries bloody tears and has pointy ears. The writing is really, really good. And, there was one moment in which the heroine seemed to do something unbelievably stupid (known as 'TSTL' in the romance genre - acronym for 'too stupid to live', applied to heroines who only get into trouble because of their own tremendous stupidity), and she actually acknowledged that she seemed 'too stupid to live', but quickly explained her way out of why it was a stupid move. That's when I completely fell for the book - the moment may have been just a bit contrived, but it didn't feel unnatural or forced.

Okay, now that I've turned off half my readership (including Katie, who never forgave me for being so unbelievably dorky as to be caught reading a Robert Heinlein novel featuring a cover photo of floating Martian flatcats in high school), I should really go to bed. The rest of my day was either not worth mentioning, or not mentionable (secret society meeting - my mother is president and could excommunicate me if I divulge secrets). But I really need to write tomorrow, especially since the next two books in the series should be here on Friday. Goodnight!

No comments: