Friday, March 28, 2008

i'm almost ready - yeah, it's almost true - for almost anyone but you

Except for the fever I felt coming on after dinner, and the fact that I drove two hours (half of it in sleet) for a sandwich, today was a fantastic day!

I meant to leave home earlier than I did, but instead I reread part of that paranormal romance novel I was so giddy about last night. It reminded me of another tangent I meant to take last night -- while paranormals are dying, this may signal the medieval subgenre's return to popularity. Paranormals are really medievals, only the lords are vampires/werewolves, and everyone's got cooler gadgets. They still have to obey a complex set of social rules and adhere to strange, binding types of honor; many still live in castles and manors that have been magically hidden from prying humans; and they all inexplicably prefer bows, axes, and swords over guns and grenades. Since the ultra-alpha male always remains popular, even when the leading subgenre is switching from pirates to Scottish lairds to firefighters to Navy SEALs to vampires/werewolves, I have a feeling that medievals could make a comeback. I'm ready -- they were last popular about ten years ago, and I've missed them.

Anyway, I went to Indianola and had a fantastic sandwich - it's been almost a month since I've had a sandwich with sprouts, guacamole, mustard, and non-white bread, so I was v. excited. I spent a couple of hours there working on my novel, but broke off early when I was stunned to get a call from none other than Walter Talbott, the famed Talbotross. Those of you who met me in the past couple of years have likely only heard whispered legends of Walter's greatness. Those of you who know Walter will be glad to hear that he is well, or at least alive, and he sounded quite chipper on the phone.

When I got home, I received the second unexpected call of the day, this one from Arod, who told me all about what she's been up to in the past couple of weeks. I worked on the book some more, ate dinner, and then finished the chapter I was working on. That puts today's word count at 3389, which is more than double the goal (yay!). I need to pick up where I left off tomorrow, since today went remarkably well.

I finished off my night by painting my fingernails and talking to Vidius Chandicus for quite awhile. We talked about a wide variety of issues, focusing significant attention on how awful the frozen pizzas from Whole Foods are. We also talked about the Oprah episode that I saw a bit of yesterday - it was about compulsive hoarding, and featured a woman who had crammed enough stuff to fit in a 10,000 sqft warehouse into a 3,000 sqft house, never realizing that underneath the piles of stuff were mice nests and rampant black mold growths. Ugh. But Vidya was dismayed to learn that the hoarding she has accused me of (mainly in regards to my excessive kitchen supplies, furniture, books, clothes...the necessities, really) is probably genetic on my part, given that several of the people on my dad's side of the family are compulsive hoarders. That makes me a helpless, genetically predisposed victim, which makes me less fun to tease, I suppose.

In my defense, though, I do use the stuff I have (even if it's rarely, like my deviled egg plate) - and unlike my grandfather, I didn't keep stacks of rocks all over my property. So I feel there is hope for me.

That's all for now; it's time for bed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laura and I come to the rescue, we were hoping to find out if the reason you could not take your temp. was because the corn-based thermometer had been mistakenly consumed during the long hard winter? Also, if you have a fever does it turn into popcorn? Inquiring minds in Boston want to know....
-Z-man and Laura