Thursday, May 22, 2008

but anytime you like...you can catch a sight of angel eyes, all emptiness and infinite

You have ~22 hours to vote in the European Photo Contest! Time's a'wastin' -- and it looks like Walter's parents are going to be another unstoppable voting bloc if you don't exercise your voting rights :)

Today was a lovely day in the heartland, other than the weather -- yesterday was 70+ degrees and gorgeous, while today was <60 and rainy. I exerted myself quite a bit yesterday -- the jet lag woke me up at 5:30am, and by 6:15 I decided that I should just get out of bed and start the day. I ended up showering, getting dressed (in a v. summery shirt/skirt/sandals combo), and driving to Des Moines, where I arrived around 10:30. I had a v. early lunch at Panera, then went to Borders with the intention of spending the afternoon working on my book. Instead, I bought a romance novel and read the whole thing from cover to cover before coming home, laptop unopened. I felt no guilt, however; it's nice to unwind for a couple of days after the exertions of my trip. That's probably an infuriating thing for me to say, given that most of my readers are gainfully employed and would kill to have almost three weeks to tour the UK and the Netherlands, so I apologize for any offense caused.

Today was even more slothful than yesterday -- when I woke up at 6:30, I put my facemask on to block out the evil sun, and slept until 11. I sat around in my pajamas and talked to my mom and brother (with a brief visit from my grandma), finally getting dressed around 3pm -- just in time for a brief visit from my sister and her husband. I had a nice phone conversation with Katie, who *still* calls the house rather than my cellphone -- I think she just secretly hopes that she will get to talk to my parents before talking to me. Then I hung out with my parents until dinner (steak, mashed potatoes/gravy, green beans, and some fresh asparagus -- I tried the asparagus, and the verdict is that I still hate it). We finished the evening by watching 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' in preparation for seeing the new Indiana Jones movie next week.

So it's all family all the time right now. My brother has conveniently moved home as well, and so spent most of the afternoon trying to convince me to play video games, but I nobly refrained. Or, not so nobly, since I am terrible at sports-type video games, and he wanted to play Madden NFL -- and true to my elder sister form, I will not play games with him unless I can trounce him. Poor kid.

Tomorrow I should really try to accomplish something, even if it's just as basic as painting my toenails. And that necessitates going to bed so that I can wake up and get started. Goodnight!

2 comments:

~Wamp said...

I'm terrible at sports games, and I would have never asked you to play Madden even if we had it. I wanted you to play Blitz 2000 on a borrowed N64 because we weren't cool enough to have a video game system newer than the original Gameboys. Blitz has actually almost nothing to do with actual football. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Blitz

Anonymous said...

Someone told me the Hong Kong Flower Lounge got bought out by the people who own Mayflower in Milpitas. I hope they retained the same terrible level of service, the flat soda, the mentally challenged har-gar boy, and Fun.

-tz