Thursday, May 15, 2008

Day Fifteen - Isle of Skye

I don't think that I can put into words just how gorgeous the Scottish
Highlands and isles are. It is very reminiscent of Ireland, although
wilder and more rugged...Scotland was blessed/cursed with more
mountains and lakes, and is green without quite the same intensity as
the Irish countryside. But the gleaming lochs around every bend, the
rough, rock-strewn cliffs, and the shifting mists and clouds are
simply awe-inspiring.

Today was spent entirely on the Isle of Skye, off Scotland's west
coast. I started with a Scottish breakfast (sausage and fried eggs and
toast and tea...I skipped the beans, tomatoes, and mushrooms), and
then boarded the bus for nine hours of touring the countryside. We
spent a lot of today climbing and descending hills...we would stop
every hour or so to climb around outside, which was fun and yielded
some (hopefully) gorgeous photo ops. We also had a lovely break for
lunch, where I did my tourist duty and had bangers and mash...four of
the best pork sausages I've had in a long time, with some great mashed
potatoes, onions, and peas on the side.

Properly fortified, I enjoyed the rest of the tour of the island, and
we were dropped off in Portree a little after six pm. I freshened up,
walked a couple of blocks to the town center, sat on a bench, and
wrote for a bit. I then had dinner at a nice little restaurant, where
I fortuitously ran into the two Aussie girls whom I hung out with a
couple of nights ago. They're quite entertaining, and we had a lovely
time...and I had a delicious steak pie. Not quite an Iowan steak, but
good nonetheless...big bits of steak in a kind of gravy, with puff
pastry, and vegetables and french fries on the side.

So now I'm quite well-satisfied, and I'm blogging early tonight so
that I can shower, pack up, and hopefully get around to labeling some
photos...I have used up one of my two memory cards, so it's time to
download them. I will tell you more about the tour when I have a)
proper internet and b) illustrative photos, but I have reached the
limit of my patience/thumb endurance for the crackberry tonight.
Tomorrow it's another full day of sightseeing through the Highlands,
before the tour ends in Edinburgh tomorrow night. Sad! But I can't be
too sad, because Walter awaits in Amsterdam (a city I loathe, but
hopefully seeing the much-admired Walter will make up for it). Then
I'm back in ye olde Iowa on Monday! And at that point, my blog will
revert to its usual mundane self :(

One more thing...I still haven't figured out what to do with my life,
and while I like to procrastinate, I had intended to figure it out by
the time I got on the flight home, and I'm running out of time. Any
ideas?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes. become a gumologist. (but in the nearer future - you should watch the olympics with meeeeeee. and post pics of scotland's lochs.)

-tz

Anonymous said...

Travel writer?

I've been to Portree. Have you seen any Scottish Long Hair cattle?

The road to Fort William can be nauseating.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you missed 8th grade graduation. It is hard to believe that Zane has now graduated 8th grade and will be going to high school. I have no ideas for you on a life choice.

When you get home to Iowa we need to have lunch.

~Wamp said...

You'd best sleep on the plane because I'm the one coming to pick you up at the airport, and while in the city I think we need to go see Prince Caspian if you can stay awake.

Sara said...

TZ - I will watch the Olympics with you! And I've posted some Scottish lochs -- more to come, including the dreaded Loch Ness!

Anonymous #2 - I have seen a few Scottish long hair cattle, including Hamish the tourist trap. And I would love to be a travel writer, if I can find a way to break into it!

Anonymous #3 (Jackie) - we'll have lunch soon!

Michael - happy birthday!