Thursday, February 04, 2010

super trooper lights are gonna find me

Today was my first full day in Singapore, and it was great; I should have moved to Singapore a year ago. I woke up around eight, showered, got ready, and Dad and I had breakfast in the restaurant downstairs before I went to work. The breakfast was good and attractively displayed, but everything was cold (including things that should have been hot), which was a bit annoying. After breakfast, I parted ways with my father, who spent the day wandering around Chinatown; I walked the three blocks to the office, where I spent the day alternating between meeting with people, attempting to get stuff done, and trying to keep myself from crashing.

My friend Sarah is in this office (so is my friend Joann, but she is unfortunately in the Philippines and so I won't get to see her), and so she rescued me from the dead zone where I sat for the first hour of my visit (one part of one floor is quieter than a tomb), found me a desk, and gave me recommendations for lunch. I had lunch at a Taiwanese place on the lowest level of the office tower; my lunch consisted of a pork cutlet with some rice and vegetables, along with a Diet Coke, for around $5 USD. Then I went back upstairs, attended a regional all-hands, went downstairs to get bubble tea, came back up for meetings, went back down to get something at Starbucks to stave off my 4pm jet lag attack, and then tried to work for the rest of the day with varied success.

At six p.m., Sarah and I walked back to my hotel, picked up my dad, and took the subway over to the City Hall area, where we had xiao long bao (soupy little dumplings, although I'm sure that's not exactly what 'xiao long bao' means). We had the pork xiao long bao, some shrimp and pork dumplings, siu mai, fried wontons, and buns with red bean paste while catching up on all manner of things. Shawn joined us late, since she's been dealing with some ridiculous stuff at work, but it was good to see her nonetheless. After dinner, Dad and I came back to the hotel, and I did some email for the past hour while trying not to fall asleep. Now, I'm losing that battle, so it's time for bed!

No comments: