Sunday, June 16, 2013

i woke up as your friend

I did not intend to stay up until almost three a.m. And if I did intend to stay up until three a.m., I intended to stay up because I was writing, not because I was socializing. I had grand plans to be a hermit today...but my heart thwarted them. Sorry, Hermit Sara.

The day got off to a slightly brutal start since I drank a bunch of wine last night, but I'm going to hope that it was the gluten I had with the wine that made me feel like shit, since I had an equal amount of wine tonight (sans gluten). But I dragged myself into some clothes and down the street for breakfast, which helped to revive me. Then I came home, worked for a couple of hours, and then took my laptop to a spa to get a fancy pedicure because I'm fancy. While getting my pedicure, I set up new tracking sheets for my word counts, sales figures, etc. - I've been tracking income, obvi, but I have gotten really lax on tracking sales by day/week to understand exactly what impact various marketing endeavors are having.

And while I was doing that exercise, I read through my old business plans/goals from a couple of years ago. The cool thing is that I've actually met most of the goals I had when I quit my job the first time - so I redid them with a new three year plan that is 10x more audacious in hopes that by putting those goals out there, I'll achieve them. We shall see, we shall see - but given the progress I've made in the past couple of years, and the fact that I'm still able to write despite the slings and arrows of day jobs and the occasional bad reviewer (like the lady who thinks Nick is a rapist and that my stuff belongs to a horrid pre-feminist world, when I think Ellie is a way more feminist figure than most romance heroines out there...but I digress)....given all those facts, I have every reason to believe that I can meet my goals (or, if not meet them, at least keep doing better).

Anyway, I came home with grand plans to write, but maybe I was feeling self-sabotaging because it's scary to put out there that you want to accomplish amazing things. So I didn't accomplish anything today. I did order Thai food, but that wasn't exactly a beacon of accomplishment. So when Chandlord texted me at eight asking if I wanted to come over and drink wine, I almost said no under the guise of forcing myself to be productive - but I hadn't hung out with her in forever, so I threw my laptop away and went over to her place to hang out. I made the minimal effort of putting on jeans instead of sweats, but I shouldn't have bothered - we drank a bottle and a half of wine, had a mindblowingly good time talking about life and tings, and watched five hours of a 'Friends' marathon. At some point, Maya and Jesse (aka Jasvinder) showed up, but that didn't lure us out of the house; instead, we drank more wine, watched more 'Friends', and talked a bit about the low carb life because we're old now.

Finally, though, I desperately needed to go home (and Chandlord desperately needed me to, as evidenced by the fact that she fell asleep in the two minutes when I was in the bathroom). And now, I should sleep; tomorrow is going to come much too soon (in fact, it's already here, that sneaky bastard), and I really do need to write tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: