Sunday, June 23, 2013

like a real aristocrat

I'm too tired to blog and had hoped to go to bed twenty minutes ago, so this shall be brief. I woke up in Texas and am now home, which is probably all you really need to know (if you need to know any of this). But the day was mostly fine, as long as I maintained my zen attitude about extreme travel delays. I ate breakfast with the family, checked out of the hotel, bid them a fond farewell, and then followed my parents and [censored] for about an hour and a half on the way to Austin. We waved goodbye to each other as they went off on the highway that would take them north on their endless drive home while I went to the airport to return my rental car and check in for my flight.

My flight wasn't supposed to be until 6:45, but since I got to the airport at one, I decided to pay the $75 to get a confirmed seat on the 3:01 flight instead. And this was the best $75 I ever spent (except for the cost of the sex show in Amsterdam, but I guess I didn't pay for that, so this is back on top of the list). As it turned out, all flights to San Francisco from anywhere in the country were delayed by approximately three hours because SF wanted to remind me why it sucks to live here and why I should be constantly questioning all of the life decisions that led me to this point. Or I could be less melodramatic and just try to fly in/out of Oakland instead of SF, but I digress.

So, my 3:01 flight took off at 6:45...the time that my original flight was supposed to take off. But when I landed in SFO, I got an email saying that the original flight was canceled, so if I hadn't done what I did, I would still be in Austin, and likely much surlier than I am now. Since I was in a relatively zen mood, though, I took a nap in the airport, played on my phone, and enjoyed watching strangers freaking out over something that was absolutely uncontrollable. Heh.

The rest of the trip was uneventful; I drank a glass of wine and wrote twelve pages on the plane, then came home and unpacked some of my stuff so that I can be ready for work tomorrow. And now that all the family fun is over, I must get back into the swing of my day job/writing life. And for that I require massive amounts of sleep - goodnight!

No comments: