Sunday, January 05, 2014

and if you close your eyes, does it almost feel like you've been here before

Today was a v. Des Amis kind of day. And by that I mean that I went there twice. Yes, I'm an addict. I regret nothing.

So the morning started off too early for my tastes, which means I had to get out of bed at nine...which, you can guess, is going to make tomorrow (when I have to wake up at six) super brutal. But I had brunch plans with Terry, Fred, and Jamie, and we had previously agreed to rendezvous at Des Amis since they are all v. well aware how in love I am with that place. We had a tremendously lovely brunch, although my go-to brunch there (the omelette forestiere) is way fewer calories than my peasant's thighs are able to sustain themselves upon. This is particularly true because it comes with 'roasted potatoes', which in actuality is one smallish potato and one mushroom, which I always forget until I start slicing into the second 'potato' and discover its fungal roots. Boo. But the conversation was filling, so it was still a lovely way to start the day.

After brunch, I bought a rollerball pen at Itoya (apparently I forgot that I'm not supposed to buy any new things this year, but I'm going to count a pen as a consumable, even though the two refills I bought with it are probably going to outlive me) and then came home to write. But then I spent four hours 'cleaning my room'. Some of it was necessary (I needed to declutter my bedside tables). Some of it was questionable (I covered a shoebox in pretty paper so that I could put my sunglasses in it). But it was when I started ripping CDs from a decade ago that I knew that I was just avoiding Thorington - I'm pretty sure that I had forgotten that Armin van Buuren exists, nor do I need any other techno since I can listen to it on Pandora or Google Music or Spotify or anything else.

So I stopped cleaning, but I did take time to call my parents. They were lovely as always, provided that they and their animal minions do not turn into popsicles over the next couple of days (although I'm sure my dad would be pleased to see a few coons meet an icy demise). Then I messed around on the internet and procrastinated and generally stalled, until I finally knew that only one thing could save me.

And that thing was a steak and a glass of wine. So I went to Des Amis, addiction be damned. And it was worth it - I officially started writing Thorington's book, and I actually wrote fiveish pages, which is excellent for a first outing. Thus smug with my accomplishments, I came home, folded clothes, dallied a bit, etc. And now I need to sleep - I'm torn between getting up early to write and getting up early to go to the office. Writing is a good idea, but the office is also good since my boss is out this week and I have a lot to do before he gets back. Soooo...we shall see, we shall see. But now, I must sleep - goodnight!

No comments: