Monday, November 02, 2015

change the locks, change the scene

I was super hermity today, so I have nothing of interest to report. Thanks to the time change, I actually made it out of bed and over to Another Cafe by 8:30 (they were surprised to see me; I haven't been going there much recently, since I've been lazy and also enjoying the serenity of my apartment in the morning), and I scribbled in my notebook for a couple of hours. Then I had breakfast at Sweet Woodruff - I'd never been there before, but it may have to become a new weekday staple, since the breakfast tacos were exactly the right portion/price to make me happy.

Then I came home, took a nap, scribbled some more, got groceries, cleaned the kitchen, did a load of laundry, etc. I also researched the stupid San Francisco ballot measures so that I know how to vote tomorrow (answer: there are so many crazy people in this city, I can't even). And then I did some planning for the rest of the week, and now I'm writing this so that you know I lived through another day.

Tomorrow, though, as soon as I'm done voting I shall depart for an undisclosed location for a couple of days so that I can refocus on my writing. Theoretically I should have done this in Tahoe, but Tahoe wasn't the refocuser I was hoping for for a variety of reasons. And I think the single biggest reason is that I'm so fundamentally blocked on Rafe and Octavia that I can't see a way through it - and rather than beating my head against it, and wasting November as badly as I feel like I wasted October, I think I need to take a break from them. It probably won't be a permanent hiatus...I need to write that book so I can sell it, and also so I can write the next books in the series, which I am actually excited about.

But for today, I think taking a break from them makes sense. So I thought a little bit about what else I might work on this week - it will either be the gargoyles (and I had a killer idea for them while standing in my elevator looking at my thumb and considering a tattoo that I might put there...don't worry, I'm not getting a tattoo), or it will be something entirely new and fresh and different as a pure exercise in writing that might turn into nothing, or might turn into something. Basically, I'm giving myself permission to write whatever I want this month, and if it turns out to be sellable, great...but it's more important to write something and start feeling excited about a story again than it is to force my way through a book that isn't working.

sssanyway. The creative process is bizarre. So I'm going out of town tomorrow and will be back Thursday, and hope to come up with some new and interesting ideas in the meantime. But now I should sleep so that I can vote/drive tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: