Tuesday, November 10, 2015

i've got something inside me to drive a princess blind

Two decent days in a row....can I go for three, or will the streak die on the vine? Today probably would have been even better if I'd gone to bed at a decent time last night so that I could have dragged myself out of bed before 8:30 or 9, so I'm going to try to rectify that tonight, but overall things were good.

The morning wasn't the usual attempt at writing (see: getting up late), but I took care of a couple of business things, showered, ate a snack and drank some coffee, and then took a lyft to the auto body shop to pick up my car. It looks perfect - they did a great job, both on the damage caused by the accident and on the scrape I caused on my own seven years ago and never bothered to fix. I was super nervous driving it home because I kept picturing buses, cars, motorcycles, and crackheads running into it, but I made it into the garage unscathed, and I may just have to leave it there forever. The accident was a month ago, so I'm glad this is finally resolved; as soon as I submit the reimbursement for my car rental, I can put this all behind me and stop dealing with car situations for awhile.

Anyway, I got home, ate some lunch, and then had a long facetime chat with Kathia (remember her?). We hadn't talked in a few weeks, so we had a lot to catch up on, and it was good to see her face. I just bought tickets to go to NYC for a few days in early December, so I'll get to catch up with her (and Terry, and whomever else I can find) in person then, but today's chat was a good start.

Then, I desperately wanted to nap, but instead I went to Whole Foods and bought a lot of groceries. After I put the groceries away, I went to Jane on Larkin and wrote for a couple of hours; I almost hit my word goal, but it's close enough that I'm satisfied. When I got home, I started a home project (making a blind to cover the skylight in my closet so my clothes and books don't fade), but while I had the right tension rods and fabric, I realized that my original plan (fabric glue to hold the fabric on the rods) wasn't going to work because the 'fabric' is more of a plastic intended to block UV rays. So I either need some kind of cable ties or heavy thread/cord to hold it in place...or I may go the very ghetto route and duct tape it, since the duct taped side will be facing the window instead of the closet and I don't care anyway since it's a closet. We shall see, we shall see.

After that abortive effort, I then made supper - I tried a new recipe for shrimp and andouille sausage jambalaya, and it turned out to be delicious. I maybe would have rather had gumbo instead of jambalaya, but this was a great dish for a cold San Francisco night. While I ate, I watched some of last Sunday's '60 Minutes' - they had a piece about the musical 'Hamilton', and I was super inspired by the interview with Lin-Manuel Miranda (the writer who also plays Hamilton).

And then I lazed about, and now I need to sleep so I can get up moderately earlier tomorrow and get something accomplished before the day gets away from me - goodnight!

No comments: