Tuesday, November 10, 2015

against the light, too strong, blow a fuse now

I had intended to go to bed two hours ago, but I was lured into the throes of a book, so I guess I won't get up as early tomorrow as I thought I would. But today went surprisingly well, even though I woke up to discover that it had immediately gone off course. I was supposed to go to the south bay today to have lunch with my old boss, and I had planned to see a couple of other people - but the old boss canceled overnight, and when I awoke to steady rain I knew I didn't have any desire to drive down to the south bay anyway.

So I rescheduled Lillian and Eugene, and then I returned my rental car to the rental place. My car was supposed to be done around noon, but it ended up not being done until closer to four, so I decided to pick it up tomorrow, but there was no need to keep the rental another day anyway. After I returned the car, I went to Philz and reread a bunch of stuff and tried to get back into Rafe and Octavia and wrote for a couple of hours, and then I went to Mangosteen and warmed myself up with some chicken curry noodles. And then I came home and took a nap, because that's how I roll.

But for once I decided I wanted to make another stab at the book, so I walked over to Fillmore, holed up at Peets with a large earl grey tea, and wrote for another couple of hours. I ended up actually hitting my word goal for today, which was the first time I've done that in at least a couple of weeks - so that felt really good. It's too soon to proclaim that I've turned a corner and have solved all my blocking issues, but it's possible that I'm getting there.

By the time I was done, it was after five p.m. and almost dark, so I walked home. I had intended to buy groceries and cook something real tonight, but I felt that vague feeling that I'm getting sick (maybe it's in my head, but the rain/cold didn't help), so instead I downed an emergen-c, drank some water, and ate a sandwich. And then, even though I was kind of itching to write some more, I took a break instead and started reading THE CRIMSON CAMPAIGN, which is a fantasy novel that has been sitting on my ipad for months. It's the second book in a trilogy, and I had loved the first book when I read it (A PROMISE OF BLOOD, which I read last December, according to zee blog), but for some reason I hadn't gotten around to this one. The plotting is pretty intricate, in that there are multiple storylines/POVs going on at once, and I made it halfway through the book before realizing that I need to go to sleep (or at least take my contacts out) before my eyes fall out.

And now I must sleep, since I plan to repeat some of these epic feats tomorrow (although hopefully with less need to reread, and hopefully some cooking, and hopefully with a fully-functioning car returned to me by the end of it). Goodnight!

No comments: