Saturday, November 21, 2015

i'm never going back, the past is in the past

I continue to lead Katie and James astray, and it's quite possible that they will have a brutal morning tomorrow as a result - I, however, will put my earplugs firmly in place as soon as the screams begin, and I will stay asleep until Anne opens my door and attempts to observe me sleeping (which would not, after all, be the only grooming/bodily function she has observed this weekend - turns out toddlers are not helpful when showering or doing makeup).

However, today was a delight. I ignored the screams and slept until eight, and then I hung out with the family until nine, when a photographer arrived to take family pictures (mostly of the girls). I chose to shower during this, and was able to get ready in relative peace while the pictures were being done. Then, James graciously took care of the girls while Katie and I ran out and grabbed breakfast (relatively lackluster food, but wonderful conversation, as per usual). We also bought groceries and picked up breakfast for James, and then we came home and attempted to give him a break (although he stayed home, but he at least got twenty minutes to himself outside, so I guess that was cool).

And then I discovered the delight which is their Saturday afternoon routine, which they call 'nap prison'. Nap prison is actually the best-possible scenario; it happens if both girls fall asleep from one to three, which means they can't leave the house but can at least watch a movie or do something around the house. However, today turned into 'prison prison', because Anne refused to sleep, and so we ultimately ate popcorn and watched 'Frozen' (which was actually a decent way to spend the afternoon, all things considered).

Then the nanny showed up to babysit, and Katie/James/I busted out of prison and were adults for a few hours. We started at Old Major, which is a bar Katie and I had gone to when I was in town while she was pregnant with Julia; we had a couple of drinks there (and they claimed they were impressed that I ordered a cocktail by just asking for a specific flavor profile and requesting that the bartender make whatever he felt like making in that category, but I think they actually thought I was a terribly obnoxious hipster who should be put down before infecting others with my insufferability). We also had charcuterie and cheese, which was totally delish, and spent too much time talking about inappropriate things (like shooting lions in the heart, which turned into something vaguely sexual, etc).

Then we went a few blocks away to this French place, which was a total delight - I had some baked dish with cheese/bacon/potatoes that I'd never had before, and a couple of French 75s, and coffee, and we split creme brulee and chocolate pot du creme, and it was all delicious. The conversation continued to be wonderful, but eventually we had to leave to relieve the babysitter. Sadly, she wasn't able to get both girls to fall asleep before we got home, but Katie and James eventually succeeded, and then we watched 'Zoolander' to relive our youths.

And now I must sleep, because the screams will start all too soon - goodnight!

No comments: