Sunday, November 01, 2015

even if it's just pretend

I despise the time change - I would much prefer to have the sunset occur later in the day than it will for the next few months (not that it mattered much today, since the fog rolled in before sunset and made it all gloomy anyway). But despite the time change, my day was pretty lovely.

For starters, I had breakfast (not brunch, never brunch) with John and Jess in Berkeley. We met at nine a.m., which was apparently the time everyone else decided to meet (since that would have been ten a.m. yesterday, which is a very brunch-y hour), and we went to Saul's Deli, which Jess had wanted to go to for awhile. It turns out that this was a great decision - parking was easy, the wait was short (despite how it looked when we arrived), and the food was fabulous. We split some latkes to start, and then I had their corned beef hash with poached eggs. It was possibly the best corned beef hash I've ever had, and I would definitely order it again (in fact, I may already be dreaming about it).

Of course, the company would have been good even if the food sucked, but luckily I got to enjoy everything about the morning. John and Jess seemed to be in good form, and we spent another quality hour or so together at their house after breakfast. I hadn't seen it since the night after they moved in, and it's amazing what furniture will do in terms of pulling a room together. It gave me fond memories of my cabin in the woods in Palo Alto, which I wish I could live in again (if I only had any friends there). The three of us talked about life, and I vented about my writing, and it was all great.

But I eventually needed to come back to my side of the bay, so I bid them a fond farewell and came home. Once here, I messed around on the internet, took a brief nap, and then walked to Philz, where I had coffee and scribbled in my notebook for an hour or so quite contentedly. Then I came home, talked to my parents, messed around some more, ate a sandwich, scribbled some more, etc. Basically, the first part of my day was v. fun, and the second part of my day was v. hermity, and together they made my usual recipe for a perfect day (except for the fact that I'm still stuck on the book, but whatevs).

And now I'm going to go to bed and hope that the time change does the only thing that it might be good for, which is to encourage me to get up earlier again so that I can write in the morning. I haven't been doing the morning thing very well over the past couple of weeks (I blame Adit and two weekends in a row of late nights/minimal sleep), and I want to get back into it...and tomorrow morning may be a good time to start. Goodnight!

No comments: