Saturday, December 02, 2017

my perfect rock bottom

I'm back in Boulder and back in my own bed, which hopefully means I'll get some solid sleep - and hopefully also means that I won't be confused in the middle of the night like I was a couple of nights ago, when I got out of bed at three a.m. to use the bathroom, walked there without really opening my eyes or turning on the lights...and promptly hit my head on the wall by the shower, because I didn't remember that corner being there and was probably picturing some other hotel bathroom layout in my head. Oops.

So as you might have guessed from last night's post, today was an exercise in pain. I'm lucky that I woke up at seven, since I hadn't set my alarm for the right time and I was supposed to leave at 7:45 (and I needed to shower and still hadn't packed). I went to bed at two last night after far too many drinks with about ten people from the offsite - it all started very sedately with a happy hour at four p.m., but after most people left, I discovered myself with a bunch of people from the Dublin office, all of whom were determined to keep the party going. So we adjourned to another bar down the street and stayed until after one, which was really totally unnecessary (but very fun, and the best way to get to know the Dublin crew better).

But that made today pretty bleak - I definitely had a hangover when I woke up, and I also had to take a lyft from the hotel to my car (less than a mile away) because I'd obviously had to leave it in downtown Sunnyvale overnight. Luckily, everything this morning went smoothly - Caroline and I grabbed the car, drove to the airport, returned the car (goodbye land yacht, my new friend!), got to the airport, and made it through security in time for me to have breakfast at Urban Tortilla, It was totally out of my way, but Mexican breakfast is a lifesaver.

I slept throughout the flight, as you might have guessed. When I landed in Denver, I ran into one of the guys on my team who happened to be on the same flight, so I offered him a ride into Denver proper - I had thought I'd hit my introvert wall, but it was nice to have someone to talk to so I wouldn't fall asleep while driving. When I got to Denver, I dropped him off, then went to Avanti and ate some truly excellent gluten free pasta. Katie and I had plans to meet up tonight, but when she left work we agreed that we didn't really want to hang out at Avanti - instead, I met her at Lola's, which is tasty Mexican food (you can tell that Mexican food and pasta were what my hangover needed). We had a great time there, with way too much queso and some v. insanely spicy margaritas (probably a good thing, since I was not in a place where I really needed to finish my drink).

Then we went back to her place and I said hi to the girls, who are adorable as always. Katie put the girls down and James and I talked about work and watches for awhile, and then Katie/James/I kept talking until 9:30 or so. I could have spent the night there, but I really wanted to be in my own bed tonight, so I drove here - where I promptly took a nap (although a nap at ten p.m. is a bad idea). And now I'm going to bed for real - goodnight!

No comments: