Saturday, August 14, 2004

dandy life

So, my class reunion was today. However, I was much more focused upon the Olympics. I woke up this morning around eleven, watched some swimming, and then drove into town for the parade at 1. Since my class had a reunion, we had a 'float' in the parade, which was really just a trailer pulled by a classmate's pickup. So, I rode on the float and caught up with the twenty or thirty people who shower up. That took about fifteen minutes, and then I met my parents, had lunch on the square, and speedily went home to watch women's volleyball. I ended up skipping what was technically the reunion because there wasn't really anything I had to say to most of the people who showed up--it was nice to talk to the people I talked to, and there were others I should have talked to or would have liked to have seen, but at the same time I *love* the Olympics and didn't want to miss men's gymnastics. So, I came home instead :) I watched the Olympics until five, napped for a couple of hours during the coverage break, and watched again from seven until eleven. I had fun watching the snippets of the men's bicycle road race, although the people I wanted to win didn't finish in the medals placements.

It will be good to get back to California for the television coverage, because we live about 70 miles from the NBC broadcast tower, and so we don't always have completely clear picture quality. And, we don't have cable, and so I can't catch the more obscure sports on the cable stations. But, I will be back in California on Monday night, and then nothing will be able to stop my insatiable lust for Olympic coverage. Well, perhaps my job will stop my insatiable lust--but I'll just have to get up early so that I can come home early to watch the primetime stuff. Yay!

Nothing else to report--one more full day at home, and then flying on Monday! Whee.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, cool, you get to see Olympic swimming. All we get here is judo, and various softball/volleyball-ish team sports that involve Japanese athletes (the crowds always seem to be chanting Nip-pon, Nip-pon whenever they get television coverage). Who knew judo would be so big? That's all I've seen today.


-michael

Can Sar said...

Unlike you I wasn't planning to watch the Olympics, having spent countless hours watching the European Soccer Cup, in which Portugal, the amazingly awesome host, was so sadly defeated (full disclosure: I am wearing a Portugal Soccer Federation shirt as I type this). Due to a sudden twist of fate I do, however, enjoy watching them from time to time now, and wanted to inquire whether you are also rooting for my fellow Austrian and Stanford graduate? If you do not, the only way to make up for it is to buy the cat, mentioned in your last post, and if you do, you should buy one if he gets to the finals. Over and out from Austria.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so envious!!! I didn't even get to watch the opening ceremonies, cuz I don't have a TV and am too antisocial to go by myself to a pub. D'oh!
Also, no cat. You'd just end up torturing it with catnip all the time.
And can we extend our Austria night to a general German-Speaking-Countries Night, please? I am getting a giant German flag for Johann, and we can use it before I give it to him, and we can play German/Austrian music and you can put all your anti-Hitler conspiracy books out on display and we can eat wurst and swiss cheese, and not play mafia at all, and it'll be totally sweet. We'd have to find a way to include the governator too. Maybe watch some really bad movie with him in it.
I am way too excited.
Over and out from Germany.