Monday, August 02, 2004

soy un perdedor (i'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me)

Chalk up yet another win for Walter--after years of professing hatred for Beck, I am now addicted to 'Loser'. It's not the only song on my playlist--it's sharing space with such illustrious numbers as 'The Milkshake Song,' 'Somebody Told Me' by The Killers, and 'Don't Fear the Reaper' by Blue Oyster Cult. The last of those has been stuck in my head since my brother made me watch this old SNL skit in which Will Ferrell played the lost cowbell player of Blue Oyster Cult. Like much that Will Ferrell has done (such as Anchorman), he's best when he's in five-minute doses, and so the skit was hilarious.

The weekend was fun, but not nearly relaxing enough--comedy club on Friday night with some coworkers, shopping and errands on Saturday, 'Harold and Kumar go to White Castle' this afternoon with a whole bunch of people, and dinner with Ritu, Renee, and Jack this evening. I was supposed to go to 'the club' last night in the city, but I just wasn't feeling it, and so I read a romance novel instead. Ritu and Renee commented on my more-avoidant-than-usual personality recently, and I don't really have much to say for that, other than that it's true. I haven't signed onto AIM at home for two months, I've barely written in my blog, I rarely talk to anyone other than Walter, Claudia, Zach, Adit, Ritu, and the few other people I've spent a lot of time with this summer, and I don't really feel like changing my ways. Maybe it's stress at work...maybe it's uncertainty about the future...or maybe it's that I've fallen into a comfortable routine this summer and am too lazy to break out of it. For all that living with Walter is like engaging in a microcosm Tragedy of the Commons (there are only two of us in the apartment, but we're in a full-fledged tragedy--for instance, last weekend we finally acknowleged that both of us had seen this dead bee carcass on the floor of the bathroom for over two weeks, and neither of us had made any move to pick it up), I have still found that this summer living experience is very comfortable despite the fact that it is temporary. We did have an amusing moment last night while watching a Discovery channel documentary of some crazy dude who killed his female roommate, and we were both clearly wondering whether we would end up killing each other, and so we switched to the Cartoon Network instead.

Anyway, I'm still alive, for those of you who check this occasionally and have been wondering where the hell I am. I'm going home on Friday for eleven days, which will be lovely, although I'm v. sad because my father will only be there on Friday and Saturday :( He will also be cleanshaven for the first time in my entire life, which will be very strange. Oh well. He's bidding on a project out here, which would be fantastic, so I hope he gets it. And now, time for bed so that I can get up early and start my week. Fun!

No comments: