Tuesday, September 21, 2004

the district sleeps alone tonight

I'm quite chagrined to realize that I am now on a Postal Service/Death Cab for Cutie kick, thanks to my recent obsession with the 'Garden State' soundtrack. Chalk this up to yet another example of something I hate turning into something I love; luckily it's not in the opposite score column, which is something I love turning into something I irrevocably lose. Thanks, Walter, for pointing out the horrible irony that I inevitably lose what I once loved and love what I once hated.

It's really not so bad as all that, it was just an amusing-in-a-catastrophic-kind-of-way conversation that I had with Walter a few weeks ago. Anyway. Postal Service and Death Cab for Cutie. Good stuff. I think a lot of it stems from the fact that I'm thoroughly sick of all my music; after having my headphones plugged in nine hours a day for the past year, plus all the music I play in my car, plus the fact that I always had my music on for four years in my room in college...all that combined made it pretty much guaranteed that I would end up completely sick of all of my old music. I mean, I still love Counting Crows and Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Bush will always hold a special place in my heart...but I can't take it all day every day right now. All these highly-emotional, soft, high-pitched male vocals and lack of vibrant guitar are the perfect anecdote for my typically-angry, grunting tastes. It's hard to say how much longer this will last, but it's soothing right now, so we'll keep going with it.

I've also been on a domestic kick; last night I made steak (on my red George Foreman grill!) and a baked potato, and tonight I made french toast. Tasty. And I watched 'Love Actually' last night, and 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' tonight (thanks to Michael for getting me these movies for my birthday :) They're both great movies, although I think 'Love Actually' is maybe one of the greatest love movies ever. It's just heartbreakingly wonderful and painful all at the same time, as I think I mentioned when I saw it at Flicks last winter. Sigh.

Speaking of Flicks, I'm going to get a pass this quarter--there are a lot of movies I'd like to see again, starting with 'Dodgeball' at 7pm the first weekend. As for the rest of my life...well, I'm feeling antisocial this week, probably because I wasn't as productive last week as I should have been, and so I'm atoning for that. I also have some pretty big decisions to make about my life, and I feel like they need to happen soon because otherwise my life will definitely start to slip away from me. I'm not as depressed as I was about being 23, though--now it's just something that's accepted fact, rather than something to be afraid of. So, I've accepted that, but I'm not excited about waking up twenty years from now and realizing that I still don't have any idea what I want. So, things need to change. I just hope that I have the courage to follow through with whatever I decide, rather than just letting things slide because it's the path of least resistance. Well, I've surprised myself with the ability to affect massive change before (such as going to Stanford rather than Iowa State), so maybe I'll be able to pull something off.

I also use 'so' a lot as a connector. I like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

whee! yay for dcfc & postal service. i have more lots music in a similar vein if you're interested... seriously. lots more. :-D. hehehe.

~jaz

Lizzie O said...

I absoluetly love Poastal Service.