Saturday, December 31, 2005

close your eyes girl, look inside girl, let the sound take you away

Rather than playing games tonight, my family watched 'Sahara'. That movie is absolutely hysterical. I know that my movie taste has been questionable, to say the least. It's reached almost a 'boy who cried wolf' status--now, I can say that a movie is fantastic, and people won't believe me until the movie wins half a dozen Oscars or something. But in this case, 'Sahara' is genuinely entertaining, and I don't even mean that it's entertaining in the way that I find 12-hour train rides across India entertaining, or broken fingers entertaining, or residents passing out in pools of their own vomit entertaining. This is entertaining in a purely amusing, well-balanced, happy kind of way, and it doesn't involve any pain at all. Maybe they won't win any Oscars--but Matthew McConaughey was named People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive. And we all know who won that award in 1989, right? That's right, Sir Sean Connery. If that isn't impetus enough to see 'Sahara', I don't know what is.

Anyway, today we celebrated a belated Christmas with my father's side of the family. My grandmother made the Christmas lasagna, although I just realized that this was the first Christmas in my entire life, as far as I can remember, that we didn't have ribbon salad at some point during the week (for those of you not in the know, ribbon salad is three layers of Jello, and is v. tasty). After lasagna, we opened presents, which was fun. I got Julia Child's 'The Way to Cook', which should provide me with endless hours of entertainment in the kitchen. I also got a gorgeous pair of ruby earrings to match the necklace my aunt gave me for graduation a few years ago. My uncle gave me a commemorative Marine silver dollar, in honor of the fact that both of my grandfathers served in the Marines...but the importance of that was almost overwhelmed by the toy he gave me. I haven't gotten a bonafide toy in years, so it was perhaps more entertaining than it should have been. It's a hand-held thing that plays twenty questions with you--it asks twenty questions, and is able to correctly guess what you're thinking about the vast majority of the time. It's a shockingly good time!

I should go to bed now, though, since I'm going to Des Moines with Katie tomorrow. We're partaking in a bit of shopping (which we probably haven't done together since I visited her in New Orleans a couple of years ago), and then going to a big party thrown by one of the Des Moines radio stations. We're spending the night in the city as well, which will be fun. I realize today that this is the first New Years Eve that I will actually spend at a real party outside of my house with people my own age, so I hope to make the most of it.

That means that this is probably the last post of 2005. Happy new year, everyone! I'm sure that 2006 will bring even bigger and better things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep the change!