Saturday, December 17, 2005

in a house where regret is a carousel ride

Vidya's birthday is on Sunday (as is my mother's--wish Jeanie-baby a happy birthday!), and Adit planned a surprise birthday dinner for her tonight. I didn't really want to go anymore, since I was feeling rather unwell all day, and Claudia wasn't really feeling the going-out vibe either, so we were v. tempted to skip it. However, Adit called me at four to ask if I could be 'in charge' at the restaurant and coordinate with the waitstaff, since he would be with Vidya and arriving late. I reluctantly agreed. I knew exactly why he picked me--I can be trusted to show up someplace on time and also to deal with the restaurant workers without pissing them off. That took some doing, since they were holding a table for sixteen and no one else appeared to be showing up. The funny thing about putting me in charge was that of all the people invited to the dinner, I only knew a few of them, and so Claudia and I had to keep asking people when they walked in if they were friends with Vidya. It was super awkward!

Anyway, dinner was really nice--we had Italian food in downtown Palo Alto, and the company was excellent. It's funny that the main reason why I thought that the company was excellent was because most of the people I didn't know didn't show up; while I should have been sad for Vidya's sake that those people were busy, my self-interested side was gleeful, to say the least. Adit, Sri, Vidya, Claudia, Renee, Steph, and I had a great time, and I quite enjoyed meeting the two guys who were sitting at my end of the table.

I don't have any major plans yet for the weekend, but I suppose I should pack for my upcoming trip home. I *hate* packing--and it always seems like just as I have everything organized again after my last trip, I have to pick up and make another one. Oh, well. My brother kindly offered me the use of his warehouse as a receptacle for all the stuff I'm purging, so I may take some stuff back to him and let him decide what he wants to do with it. Now, though, I need to sleep before my exhausted mind gives away everything I own.

No comments: