Sunday, December 18, 2005

i'm wasting time when i think about it...i should have drove all night, would've run all the lights

It's been raining all day, which makes everything a bit dreary. Terry, Claudia and I went to San Francisco to do some shopping (or, in my case, window-shopping, since I'm done with all of my Christmas shopping and am trying to refrain from adding to my 60+ pair shoe collection or my overflowing closets). I definitely have a love/hate relationship with the city. There are things that would be lovely about living there, such as being able to find restaurants within walking distance of my apartment, or being able to go out without having to worry about driving home. However, there are things that absolutely suck about it, such as the endless traffic, the utter lack of easy parking, and the fact that an already-difficult driving situation becomes completely intolerable when it's raining. The drive home was a little nervewracking because it was already dark and the rain was particularly heavy, compounded with a nasty, soupy fog that added an element of risk to the endeavor. We made it home safely, and tonight, at least, I am happy that I live in staid, boring Menlo Park rather than amongst the 'glamour' of the city.

We watched 'The 40-Year-Old Virgin' tonight, and I must say that the final scene, involving a trippy rendition of 'The Age of Aquarius', was absolutely hysterical. Unfortunately, I think that the rain did not put me in the mood for comedy, but I'm sure this feeling will pass. I think I will try to make it pass faster by sleeping it off.

One last thing, though--seafood chowder rocks. Claudia and I each had a bowl of it at a cafe we stopped at near Union Square, and it was absolutely delicious. I think it really is a toss-up if I'm forced to judge the relative merits of beef and seafood. They are both so tasty, but one requires me to be in the mood for blood, while the other one requires a desire for a slightly more delicate and saltier flavor. Either way, it's impossible to lose with them, and I'm so happy that I've had both in abundance since getting back from India. Mmmmm. [sorry to Vidya and all other vegetarians for being excited by eating recently-slaughtered animal flesh, but it's so freaking tasty that I can't help myself]

No comments: