Monday, December 19, 2005

life went on beyond the palisades

I got up this morning in time to have breakfast with Terry at ten a.m.; it's crazy how getting up two hours earlier than usual on a Sunday can make the entire day seem endless. I wonder how much I would accomplish on weekends if I didn't spend half my time in bed? It's a rather academic question, since I can't imagine myself waking up voluntarily. It usually takes some extreme duress to get me out of bed on weekends before eleven, and I would rather sleep until noon. Anyway, breakfast was great. After breakfast, I spent a significant amount of time on the phone with my parents. Most of that conversation time was while I was pacing in a circle at the Stanford mall--the best was when I said 'I love you' to my mother just as I looked up and made extremely awkward eye contact with a security guard. Yay for unintentionally declaring my feelings for rent-a-cops.

My father was apparently quite annoyed about my recent post regarding my newfound desire to avoid having children; as I mentioned after seeing 'The Squid and the Whale', I decided that it's far too easy to fuck up your kids. My father told me today that he had invested twenty-four years in messing me up, and that it took a lot of hard work and effort to get me to the fucked-up state that I'm in. So, I'd like to publicly apologize to him for not acknowledging how much effort he has put into ensuring that I turn out completely insane.

I spent some time browsing at the mall; I didn't find what I went for (zip ties for my luggage), but I did find four sweaters at the Gap that were rather unnecessary. However, they were also on a v. good sale, so I can't regret them. After the mall, I came home and threw away two garbage bags full of stuff. Purging shall continue as time permits this week, although I doubt that I'll make significant progress before I leave for Iowa on Thursday. Hopefully I shall accomplish some stuff at work this week so that I can leave for vacation without guilt. The new year will likely bring new projects, and so I'm reveling in my relative freedom while I still can--but there are things that should be done despite this, and it would be a good idea to wrap them up now, before things get crazy again.

No comments: