Monday, April 03, 2006

hello ireland!

I have arrived in Dublin, and so far it's the bombdiggity. Not quite as much of the bombdiggitysss as friends are, to reference a particularly low point in my past literary prowess, but it's pretty cool nonetheless. We'll see if I continue to feel this way after I've actually gone out and explored. I had grand plans yesterday to get off the plane, drop off my bags, and then go out and buy a phone and a hair dryer, but once I got to the apartment, I quickly realized I had no desire to navigate around an unfamiliar city in the rain. I did keep myself awake all afternoon by playing 'Civilization', which wasn't perhaps the most productive thing I could have done, but it was certainly effective.

Judging by what I've eaten since arriving in Ireland, this might not be the healthiest place for me. Last night, after not eating for ten hours, I finally ventured out and found a convenience store, where I procured a couple of frozen mini-pizzas and a small bottle of Diet Coke. I had one of the pizzas last night for dinner, nothing for breakfast today, some small amount of Indian food (how ironic!) for lunch, and rice krispies as a snack. I didn't get back to my apartment until nine p.m., and I thought that I could tide myself over with a bag of potato chips (aka 'crisps'), but when I discovered that I might faint from hunger, I ate the other frozen pizza instead. Isn't that all delightful? Clearly, finding a grocery store ranks right up there with getting a phone as the most important pending task.

Okay, time for bed, I'll take some pictures or something when I have more energy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The uncle says: Tesco, although we did find a Supervalu - don't know if there is any connection to the ones at home. Supervalu even had canned macaroni and cheese! We did not try it. Crisps seem to only come in flavors, vinegar, cheesy etc. Never did see plain. A recent story on NPR reported flavors of Lay's potato chips available in India that are not available in the USA. If you get really homesick there is a Casey's filling station and convenience store in Tipperary on the road to Killarney- no link to the Iowa company, but a Casey's nonetheless. [Could be some distant, emphasis on distant, kin, but our Casey ancestors were in America before 1700.] Be a trend setter -- naan and Guiness.

To acquaint yourself with city center Dublin try the double decker tour buses with on off privileges. We rode the ones actually run by Dublin Bus -- there appears to be three or four operators. Our base of operations in Dubiln was the little hotel across the road from stop number one.