Thursday, April 13, 2006

hello moto

I finally, after months of inner struggle, broke down and purchased the Motorola RAZR V3. Better yet, I purchased it in magenta (see below). I've now officially entered the ranks of the borderline-trashy; I just need a bunch of crystals dangling off the sides, or stick-on rhinestones for the cover, to complete my awesome ensemble.

Despite my embrace of trash, I am also proud to enter the ranks of the able-to-order-takeout. Since there was no phone in my apartment and I had no cash, I wasn't able to even consider takeout for my first week here; now, with both cash and phone in hand, I can call any restaurant with delivery and have tasty food brought directly to my door. It's amazing what modernity has wrought, innit?

So I went to Grafton St. to buy my phone tonight, which proved dangerous because it also allowed me to stop at a bookstore. I picked up a copy of Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods', since I never got around to reading Claudius's copy, and I also bought a research book called something along the lines of 'Georgette Heyer's Regency England'. I know tons of stuff informally about the English Regency period (typically described at 1811-1830, I believe), but this should be a good book for me to use as I finally finish writing my freaking romance novel. I read a couple of chapters over coffee after having dinner at a restaurant near Grafton St., before coming home and playing with my new phone.

Tomorrow is Good Friday, which the Irish have off since they're still going through the motions of being good Catholics. But, judging by the number of people (rough estimate: everyone) carrying newly-purchased alcohol as they were running errands tonight, it's clear that the whole country is in a mad dash to prepare for the calamitous Shutting of the Pubs for Good Friday. While Good Friday used to be a day of penance and reflection, it's now a day to get raucously drunk at house parties rahter than at the pub. I was thinking of going to the party at the Embassy, but one of my coworkers invited me to her house for dinner (and, no doubt, some drinks), which sounds infinitely preferable.

Happy Good Friday to all of you heathens stuck in a country that doesn't give you the day off :)

No comments: