Tuesday, April 04, 2006

soup and sandwiches

Continuing my record, I have yet to go more than two blocks away from my apartment. Actually, 'blocks' is an approximation, since roads don't really create perfect perpendicular intersections and nice, dependable squares, but it's a good guess for distance. However, I did make it to the same convenience store that I found the other night, thus rescuing myself from the horrid fate of eating potato chips for dinner for the second night in a row. I procured some sketchy (but tasty) fish chowder and some stuff for sandwiches, so I should be good for tomorrow as well.

I currently face a couple of dilemmas. 1) I haven't tracked down an ATM, so I have no cash with which to pay a taxi, a food delivery person, or anyone else. 2) I have no phone in my apartment, nor do I have a cellphone, so I can't order any delivery food. 3) Grocery stores appear to be too far away for serious shopping, but since I have no cash, I can't take a cab or train. 4) The major grocery store here, Tesco, apparently delivers, but this brings me back to points 1 and 2. Sigh. Clearly I just need to take a walk that's slightly longer than two blocks (or even, potentially, just a walk that's two blocks in a different direction), but I'm so busy that I haven't had time to explore yet. Hopefully this weekend will lend me adequate exploration time. If not, there's always next weekend--I apparently get both Good Friday and Easter Monday off (thank you, Catholics!), so a four-day weekend will definitely help me to get settled.

Now, though, it's time for bed; and I sincerely hope that there aren't a million box elder bugs (see below) in my apartment when I wake up.

No comments: