Thursday, April 20, 2006

i am still living with your ghost

I'm really tired, so this will be brief. I was rather busy today, so I didn't get home until 8ish. I had a quick reheated dinner (leftover thai food, yummy) with Sonam, and then we went to some Japanese place in the downtown area to meet Maya and friends for Maya's final going-away party. They were all still eating dinner, and I had a date to talk to Tom about potential post-college job opportunities, so I took full advantage of my hot magenta phone by stylishly chatting on the street for awhile. With my magenta phone and my fur-trimmed pink bomber jacket, I'm sure that 'stylish' was the first word that any passersby thought of when they saw me!

After everyone finished karaoke, we went downstairs, where they have several karaoke boxes set up in the basement. This is a great system--rather than having to sing in front of a bunch of strangers, and endure their singing, and wait in line for songs, you can rent a small (8-10 person) karaoke room for an hour at a time. So, we sang fun things like 'I Will Survive', 'Hotel California', and 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. Most people were getting ready for hour two, but I wasn't feeling well (loud singing of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' exacerbates my lingering cough), so I said my farewells to Maya. I took a v. informative cabride home, since the driver gave me a quick intro to rugby in preparation for this weekend's Munster-vs-Leinster rugby match. This is important for me because a) the stadium is less than a mile from my apartment, which could lead to mass chaos on Sunday, b) I like finding out what people in my new country like, and rugby is at the top of the list for many, and c) I like that there are places that are actually named Munster and Leinster. This is apparently the semi-final match in the worldwide championships, but since the Irish are so into rugby, this is almost like a final--they'll cheer for either team in the final, probably, but the Munster/Leinster rivalry is intense and bitter. I love bitterness and intensity, so it sounds like the game for me! I'm going to try to catch some of it on the 'telly', if I don't come up with other excursions.

Other than that, I have nothing to report. No news is good news, right? And with that, I'm off to bed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't you in Leinster?

Sara said...

Yeah, I know I'm living in Leinster--it's one of the four (originally five) ancient provinces/kingdoms of Ireland. The Duke of Leinster used to be pretty powerful, but now, the people rule! Or something.

Either way, the fact that there are places called Leinster and Munster makes me really happy, and I wish that I could have been the Duchess of Leinster (during a time when the peasants weren't revolting, of course).